3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Can't rearrange links inside subfolder in a folder on desktop - what to do?

I have a folder on the windows 7 home premium 64 bit desktop. There are several subfolders inside it. One of the subfolders contains many links to websites for places several counties. In XP I had these links arranged by geographic location. I did this by simply dragging each link to the position I preferred.

Example: In XP, I had links pertaining to calendars of events in each of three counties. I dragged these links around in the Calendar subfolder so that all the links for each county were together. County A's links were at the top of the subfolder. County B's links were in the middle, and County C's links were at the bottom.

I transferred the entire folder, subfolders, and all the links, from the XP laptop to the Windows 7 laptop. I just now opened the folder, and then the subfolder, and saw all my links were now in alphabetical order. I proceeded to try to drag each where I wanted it to be, and as soon as I dropped the link, it flew back to where it was in the first place. Grrrr. I looked under VIEW and saw SORT and of course it gave the usual choices. I can sort that sub folder in any of those choices but not in any other way. No dragging and dropping.

It never mattered in XP what I picked for a sort choice. I could still drag things into any order I wanted. And even if I rebooted they stayed where I put them.

What is locking these links into a particular order and what can I do to make them moveable to whatever position I want them in?

I can move my desktop icons anywhere I want. Why can't I switch link positions in a folder??

Kelliann

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft decided that feature wasn't needed any more and the "one size fits all" is easier to program and probably more stable; after all the problems with Vista.

You're probably going to have to use the Favorites folder and organize them there unless there is some relevant detail property you can use to sort them as you wish and then lock that view in in folder options.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also had this thought come to me. It requires that you organize your links into county folders (as per the example) as you want them (I know, big pain). Then to give yourself the fast and easy folder access that you would normally lose by arranging them that way, create a new toolbar on the taskbar, pointing to the master folder you have all the sub folders and links in.
    That way all those folders will have fold out menus and you can access any link very quickly from the taskbar. Then it doesn't matter where the folders reside either; should be fine right on the desktop if that's where you prefer them.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ack! It worked fine in XP - wonder why they couldn't remember that and just go back to what worked if they messed it up in Vista. Every time I turn around it seems like some function I depended on has been removed. That commercial about Windows My Way is a total joke unless they mean it's suitable for five year old or intelligent hamsters.

Thanks for the ideas - I will use them. I so depended on so many features that are now gone that I just am in a constant state of complete disbelief that something doesn't function as it should anymore. I am going to end up with a bezillion subfolders because I have folders all over the desktop that were arranged the way I wanted them, not the way Microsoft thinks they should be.

I hope someone finds a way to unlock their rigid sort orders. Do you know of any sites I might check to see if anyone has been working on this?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    All the letter A's at the top, Letter B's in the middle letter C's at the bottom sound like a group rather than sorting.

Try right click and group by whatever you need, see screen grabs.

Sorted alphabetically:
    sorted alphabetically.JPG

Grouped:
    Grouped alphabetically.JPG

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe one of the alternate windows explorers would have drag and drop sort order. Can't speak with any authority but its my only idea there. http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/30/featured/7-best-free-windows-explorer-alternative.html

I would probably have been better off if I'd gone all in on W7 so I wouldn't be constantly reminded of just how capable and intuitive XP is. I feel like I need to keep trying to hammer myself into it since XP is getting to be preternaturally ancient and support is ending eventually, and W7 is not a bad OS...its just not XP!

I recently set it up on one of my audio recording systems and couldn't get task manager to work correctly, which in itself is significant since I had to set up XP mode to do that actual recording, kind of defeating my purpose. That's just something that's broken though, something I can deal with and move on.
    The editing program I use every day however, does not open independent open and save locations in W7. In other words I navigate to the folder I need to open, process the files and then when it comes time to save the render, it opens the last location, which is the source folder again, not where I am going to save the rendered file. This same program remembers the open location AND the save location independently in XP. So every day using this program in W7, I have to navigate to the source folder to open files (because the last location was the destination folder) and then navigate back to the save location for the output. EVERY DAY! Like a sliver of wood jammed under my fingernail, its irritating, and that's just the latest example of many. I use recent locations button to shortcut the navigation but that method still earns W7 the "Clunky" award in my book.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Sounds like a perfect application for the library paradigm. Instead of sub-folders setup libraries that are organized the way you wish. The when you create a new file just add it to the appropriate library. Unless you want to or have to, you need not be concerned with where it is stored just how it is viewed.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the OP probably wants to keep all the links together in a master folder; I know I certainly would. So could you give an example of how that would work, because to my notion there still has to be one or more target folders right; or are libraries able to split one folder's contents into sub categories virtually? Because the problem right now I think is that we are unable to sort the links as desired within the same folder, so the idea is to go through the trouble of manually sorting them into sub folders and then retain almost the same quick access to them by putting them into a drop out list toolbar instead of having to drill down through the folder structure each time, one blasted click at a time.

Libraries just seem like a way to organize similar but disparate folders into one pointer location and this situation calls for almost the opposite, organizing one location into subgroups when manual sorting is denied within the same folder.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    All the letter A's at the top, Letter B's in the middle letter C's at the bottom sound like a group rather than sorting.

Try right click and group by whatever you need, see screen grabs.

Sorted alphabetically:
    sorted alphabetically.JPG

Grouped:
    Grouped alphabetically.JPG
    Tinto, I just spent some time fiddling around, using your screen captures and instructions (thank you), and was hoping I could somehow outwit Windows and get what I wanted, but, no dice. So, I will try using the group feature (which I had not realized was there) and maybe I'll rename all my folders so that they start with A, B or C and then group by A, B or C. I like that they all show in a single folder that way. I still won't be able to rearrange within those groups, which will make it harder for me, unless I force a sort by numbering them or something but maybe this is the best I can do for now.

This is so unfair, making people go to such huge lengths to do their work. I wonder if MS thinks that computers these days are just used for playing - social networking, messaging with friends, games, etc.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    I think the OP probably wants to keep all the links together in a master folder; I know I certainly would. So could you give an example of how that would work, because to my notion there still has to be one or more target folders right; or are libraries able to split one folder's contents into sub categories virtually? Because the problem right now I think is that we are unable to sort the links as desired within the same folder, so the idea is to go through the trouble of manually sorting them into sub folders and then retain almost the same quick access to them by putting them into a drop out list toolbar instead of having to drill down through the folder structure each time, one blasted click at a time.

Libraries just seem like a way to organize similar but disparate folders into one pointer location and this situation calls for almost the opposite, organizing one location into subgroups when manual sorting is denied within the same folder.
    Infinicore,
    This IS what I want. All the links for this work I do kept in a single master folder with subfolders on the desktop where it's at my fingertips. For the most part, these are links, but occasionally I might put a file in there as well. I use these links to get and compile information into a single document which is then saved to a folder by the same name which is located inside the My Documents folder.

The folder with the same name under My Documents contains .doc files and .pdf files and an occasional excel file.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think you can get Tinto's recommended technique to work satisfactorily, again because it relies on an automated sort and the links still can't be sorted by that and if you make subfolders to group, better idea is to more directly label them, by county in the example and put the master folder in a toolbar...you will be quite satisfied with that method, at least by speed of access because you can go 4-6 subfolders deep and access any link in under 3 seconds probably, certainly under 5, unless each subdivided link list is a little too long to find the right one at a glance. It works just like a well organized favorites/bookmarks list does in a browser.
    This is one method perfected in XP and thankfully retained by W7, even though one can't pull a toolbar off the taskbar and put it anywhere on the desktop one wants, like you can in XP.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2012-02-10 at 18:48.