Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 9 displays pages incorrectly or freezes pages - what to do?

I have been using IE 9 for a few weeks. It displays some pages incorrectly and other pages start to load but freeze. Here is an example of one that starts to load and freezes: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...ors-since-1978

It gets as far as showing the big colored area at the top, and part of the story headline, then freezes and I have to close the tab. Most of the story pages from that site do load ok but any that have that big wide colored area at the top don't.

Some web sites load partially blank. For instance, the left side menu of the page may load fine but the right side that should display information is blank. In one case, a slide show that is supposed to be at the top will float above the page as you scroll the page down, so that the slide show stays in place on the screen and the page scrolls beneath it.

I don't have any toolbars or weird plug-ins.

I am using Windows Home Premium 64 bit on an HP Pavilion laptop.

Poking around the MS website I found some repair tool for IE that I ran and it reported no problems found.

I followed the directions on the MS web site for trying to fix any problems and they didn't fix it (it started out with disabling plug-ins and moved on to clearing the ssl cache and then other things).

Any idea what's wrong and what I can do to fix it? Seems to me I read, maybe in Windows Secrets, that IE 9 is buggy.

These same pages render fine in Chrome. On another Windows 7 laptop, 32 bit, with IE 8, these pages also display properly.

Thank you -
    Kelliann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That page appears fine for me in IE9, which is not particularly buggy; perhaps you're thinking back to a beta?

At Tools, Safety, do you have ActiveX Filtering checked? If so, you may need to click the blue barred circle icon at the right of the address bar to switch filtering off for each site.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Active X filtering was unchecked.

I went to Tools on the right side and clicked Developer Tools and started trying things one after the other. I found that if I set Browser mode on IE7 and Document Mode on Quirks The page would show without the massive graphic at the top and all the type was readable. If I changed Document Mode to IE 7, some of the type was not laid out properly.

On the other site I mentioned, I went to Developer Tools, and had to set browser mode and document mode on IE 7. Under the Disable menu item I had to check CSS - cascading style sheets - to disable them. All of the type on the page would then show up. Not laid out in any nice order, of course, mostly one item under the other.

I don't understand this stuff, I just just change one thing at a time and see if it has any effect.

My IE 9 was installed by HP a month ago when I got the computer.

Kelliann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    On that specific site, choosing IE 9 mode, with the Developer Tools, does it work?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That MSNBC page has a bunch of JavaScript functions, so that many parts of the page do not appear correctly if I disable Active Scripting at Internet Options, Security, Internet Zone, Custom level, Scripting.

So try resetting Security for the Internet Zone to Default level.

Bruce

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

kelliann1 (2012-02-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    On that specific site, choosing IE 9 mode, with the Developer Tools, does it work?
    Neither site works in IE9 mode using developer tools.

I also tried going to Start/Search/ Internet explorer and then choosing IE 32 bit and IE with no add-ons. When you look for IE that way, it shows you all 3 options.

I also tried Toosl/options/advanced and checking and unchecking the item about rendering graphics (top item)

Here's another that doesn't work. http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...unused-tickets

Whenever there is that wide colored banner on the top that says advertisement in small letters in its right corner, the page freezes and won 't scroll. If I go back to IE 7 mode using dev. tools and IE 7 documents mode or quirks mode, I can see it. It takes away the ad. Just disabling images doesn't work. The page has to be set back to IE 7,

I am considering uninstalling IE 9 and using Chrome to go get it and reinstall it.

Hmmm just tried the same page in Chrome. Seems that right under the word advertisement there is an ad that changes to a different ad each time you refresh the page.

That must be involved in this problem. Any ideas on what it could be??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    Hmmm just tried the same page in Chrome. Seems that right under the word advertisement there is an ad that changes to a different ad each time you refresh the page.That must be involved in this problem. Any ideas on what it could be??
    JavaScript. See my previous post.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I an make the above page work in IE9 mode and IE9 document mode if I click Disable Scripts under "Disable" when using Developer Tools. No little square ad appears on the top right, and any videos or images in the middle of the page that used a script do not appear. But images that do not require a script do appear.

I went to this page: http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-samuel-aranda and it froze. I disabled scripts. It unfroze and I could scroll through it and look at the man's pictures. Any box marked advertisement was blank. At the bottom of this page it says Launch Slideshow. I clicked it and went to slideshow page. In order to see this page I had to go to Disable and uncheck Scripts. When I did that the slideshow and ads appeared and the page worked normally. So on some pages, I have to have scripts disabled.On others they have to be enabled.

I must be closing in on what the problem is .... I just don't understand enough to know what these hints are supposed to be telling me!!

Btw, enabling or disabling popup blocker under Developer Tools/Disable doesn't make any difference. Also btw, I am writing these messages using Chrome. I really prefer Chrome but there are pages that it does not render properly and I like to use IE for those. Or, just anytime I want to. I will keep poking and seeing if there are any more clues.

Hoping someone here can interpret them. I am going to go see now if there is an updated Flash available from Adobe, just in case that's involved.

OK I went to www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html -- and IE popped up a message saying there was a problem viewing the page and that it refreshed using compatibility mode.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    That MSNBC page has a bunch of JavaScript functions, so that many parts of the page do not appear correctly if I disable Active Scripting at Internet Options, Security, Internet Zone, Custom level, Scripting.

So try resetting Security for the Internet Zone to Default level.

Bruce
    Default level is Medium High. I had already tried that but just tried again and it made no difference.

I am going to try rebooting. Sometimes it is a cure-all.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It shouldn't be necessary to mess around in developer tools to get ANY page to appear as intended.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Default level is Medium High. I had already tried that but just tried again and it made no difference.

I am going to try rebooting. Sometimes it is a cure-all.
    It wasn't a cure-all. But some grey tabs did show up on each side of that upper portion of the page. They can be used to get the next story or the last story.

I totally agree, should not have to mess with developer tools to get any page to work. That's why I am still at this, trying to find a way to make it work without doing anything except clicking to get to a page. I see Ms has compatibility update #3 available. I will try installing that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If your system is not up-to-date at least with IE patches you should install them all.

Sometimes other security software can interfere. What other security software are you running?

If you are running a router have you configured any blocking in the router?

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I see Ms has compatibility update #3 available. I will try installing that.
    For IE9? Compatibility View list update should be automatic for IE9, no installation required like IE8:

IE9’s faster, more capable Compatibility View List

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It shouldn't be necessary to mess around in developer tools to get ANY page to appear as intended.
    Developer Tools just allow you to choose between 4 modes to display the page. It's more versatile than compatibility mode.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think probably a definition of freeze is required. If scripts are required for a given site interactivity, it's not surprising that the site doesn't work properly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast