New Lounger
    Thanks

ding dong cursor stops

Frequently, but at no set interval that I can make out, XP plays a "ding dong" and my cursor is immobile for several seconds until it plays "dong ding" and I can resume working. I can't figure out what this is or why it's happening.

Any one have any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: ding dong cursor stops

Have you got Outlook to play a .wav and change the cursor when new mail arrives?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the thought, but outlook isn't on (and I have it set up not to notify me when mail comes in). I tried it without Active synch, but it still does it. The cursor stops for about 4 seconds and it happens every two or three minutes. I tried turning off the sound, but when it's on the aural clue that I can move the cursor again is helpful.

ileacy

Try running task manager and see what comes to top of the heap while the cursor is disabled.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just in case anyone else may be having this trouble, I think I figured it out. It was the way I had USB stuff plugged in. My computer has two ports in the back and two in the front. I wanted a neater desk and reconfigured my cables so two hubs were ganged up on one of the back ports (keyboard attached to the other). I rearranged the cables so the keyboard and printer plug in the back and a wire fron the hub with my jornada and zip 250 snakes around the monitor to the front of the tower. Ugly, but no more annoying sounds. No more slow downs.