New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot create new user account

I use windows 7 home premium with an administrator account. I wanted to let my granddaughter use the machine so I created a "standard" user account. When I try to log on to it I get "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." Microsoft help said to edit the registry S-1-5 etc file for the user account I created and change some values. See below from Microsoft's help on the error message:

In Registry Editor, go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    In the left pane, look for the folder name starting with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number. then click each folder and locate ProfileImagePath from the right pane, double click to verify that this is the user account profile that has the error.

Unfortunately when I tried this there was no S-1-5 file present for the account I created, only the one for the existing administrator account. Obviously I can't edit a non-existent file. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks
    Last edited by tindall; 2012-02-10 at 16:27. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    tindall, Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

Is this the MS article you are referring to? There is an auto FixIt to try as well. Did you attempt this?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. I tried the auto fixit as the help article suggested. No luck.

Thanks
    See if you can go into your Administrator acccount and ddelete the Standard account you created, then recreate it and try again. There also may be a possibility in method 2 or 3 in this forum that could help. I realize this is for Vista, but these are the same as Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. I've tried that about 3 times. No luck. Interestingly enough, if I turn on the "canned" Guest Account I have the same problem and error message.
    I thought about trying that ReImage program advertised in the newsletter but otherwise I have absolutely no problems with my machine so if it doesn't work that's $60 down the tubes.
    My sympathy for your town with Kodak's problems. Hard to believe they could crash and burn like that.

Thanks
    Thanks, fortunately for me personally, does not affect me, but it has been hard for the area. Also fortunately, the area has been able to absorb the layoffs with other jobs fairly well. I do not have other ideas at this time, but will continue to think on it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

tindall (2012-02-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe I'll just let my granddaughter use my wife's computer! I may upgrade from Home Premium to Enterprise and see if that fixes it since it has a couple of features I may have a use for.

Thanks
    It might be worth a try to do a repair install of your Win 7 HP to see if this would fix whatever the problem is. If you have SP1 installed, but your Win 7 DVD does not have SP1 you can download the Win 7 with SP1 ISO file from Digital River, burn it to DVD and use this DVD to do the repair install. Just download the file the same as your version of Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi tindall,

open a command prompt, type cmd in the start menu search box, right click cmd.exe & select Run as administrator. type sfc /verifyonly
    It will be of help if it finds any errors.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi tindall,

open a command prompt, type cmd in the start menu search box, right click cmd.exe & select Run as administrator. type sfc /verifyonly
    It will be of help if it finds any errors.
    I would run sfc /scannow instead. The /verifyonly switch doesn't make any repairs, and if it finds errors, /scannow will have to be run in order to make repairs. It's going to take twice the time if /verifyonly finds errors, and /scannow needs to be run, because /scannow will rescan all protected system files.

Run /scannow and kill two birds with one stone. And it needs to run from an elevated command prompt.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I would run sfc /scannow instead. The /verifyonly switch doesn't make any repairs, and if it finds errors, /scannow will have to be run in order to make repairs. It's going to take twice the time if /verifyonly finds errors, and /scannow needs to be run, because /scannow will rescan all protected system files.

Run /scannow and kill two birds with one stone. And it needs to run from an elevated command prompt.
    SO, you would only like to fix it instead of finding the problem. Sounds counter productive to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    SO, you would only like to fix it instead of finding the problem.
    Indeed.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Yes my dear friend, their is more ways to use SFC http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termss...le-checker.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I've tried pretty well all of them except re-installing windows along with a bunch of suggestions from Microsoft forums without success. I was able to create an administrator account using safe mode with User Account Control turned off but when I switched it back to a standard account and/or turned on User Account Control it crapped out again. I give up. I've got better things to do with my time than futz around with this. If I upgrade to enterprise I presume it will fix it but who knows. From what I see this is a big problem with lots of users spanning most if not all W7 versions along with Vista so why doesn't Microsoft fix it? They're obviously aware of it. The fact that various solutions fix it for different users suggests that their User Account system is fragile to say the least. They should at least be able to make a basic feature that they themselves tell you to make use of robust enough to survive installing for example, Windows Live (one of their own programs no less!) which apparently has caused this problem for some people. Again, thanks all for your ideas.