Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD when waking up from sleep

This last week I have had a few occasions when returning to my laptop after a few hours.
    The system wakes ok but if I went to Thunderbirds and try anything it would stop responding and after a few minutes a BSOD would occur.
    Something about page fault error but disappears to quick to read fully.
    After searching the net I discovered a report from someone who had tried all sorts of things to prevent this.
    finally settling on turning off the Display Sleep option.
    I have also done this and it has not shut down on the two occasion I have left it today.
    Anyone else had the same problem or any info on what is the cause?.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try BlueScreenView to determine what is causing the BSOD.

Thanks
    IF the suggested BSV points to a standard Windows file, ignore it, it really is so rare that it's a non-starter.

What BSV is very good for is allowing you to check the drivers loaded at the time of the crash in date order, that way you can check all older 3rd party drivers against the database at sysnative.com. Update those that you can from the links that are provided, any known bad drivers there will also be flagged, along with ways to uninstall or disable them.

If you have any minidumps in the \Windows\Minidump folder, zip and upload the latest 3 or 4 of them to a file host and link us to them; I, or one of the BSOD team that visit here occasionally, should be able to tell your more about the problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning and thanks for the help.
    Downloaded BSV installed but it is not showing any data at all.
    Shows no crashes in bottom left corner.
    Do I have to wait for another BSOD after its been installed or should it pick up info from previous crashes??
    Even though I had disabled the display sleep option(As suggested elsewhere) on my laptop it did it again this morning
    before I had chance to read the post

Thanks
    I believe BSV will need to see a BSOD before it can analyze it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    You need to configure Windows to create a mindump when the BSOD occurs. Click the Orb (start button) and then right click Computer and choose Properties. An alternative to this is to visit Control Panel and choose System. From the choices at the top left, choose Advanced System Settings and then click the Advanced tab. Choose the bottom area labeled Startup and Recovery and click the Settings button. At the bottom, there is a dropdown labeled Write debugging information. From this drodpdown, choose Small memmory dump. Click on on the several dialogs and you have the system configured to generate the info that will help BlueScreenView to determine what causes the BSOD... but only for the future BSODs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Scott5 (2012-02-11)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again

ruirib I have done as you suggested will now have to wait until the morning to see if it does it again.
    Cheers

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, do let us know how it goes.

Regards

Rui

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Morning
    Left laptop sleeping all night.
    On starting up it seemed to be OK I had closed Thunderbirds and Chrome just as a test.
    Started Chrome all OK.
    After starting Thunderbirds it notified me of a update regarding stability so "Ha that'll be the fault".
    It froze whilst updating Thunderbirds and I shut it off with the button.
    Upon restarting it failed to start up and windows stepped in to check and repair which I OK'd.
    In the repair it asked if I wanted to restore to a working time and of cause I said yes.
    Upon windows completing the repair and start up correctly it all seems a lot quicker so not sure what its done.
    BUT and it a big but it had restored to a point before I had installed the BSV software and altered the settings for the minidump file.
    So no information as to what as happened.
    Can only wait and see again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All
    When I tried to get my laptop up and running it was left in sleep mode all night.
    It immediately started up to the desktop but would not do anything at all mouse moving but no reaction not even the bottom menu bar.
    So I switched it off with the power button and it restarted (Normal Startup).

Working fine now??

From the Event Log viewer I found this as the error for today and the one repeated for each time it as shut down or frozen after asleep.

copied and pasted (No idea what it means so any help would be most grateful.

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client
    Date: 13/02/2012 07:29:29
    Event ID: 1001
    Task Category: Address Configuration State Event
    Level: Error
    Keywords:
    User: LOCAL SERVICE
    Computer: Merlin
    Description:
    Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x00216B5419EF. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client" Guid="{15A7A4F8-0072-4EAB-ABAD-F98A4D666AED}" />
    <EventID>1001</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>3</Task>
    <Opcode>75</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-13T07:29:29.189939600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2830</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="948" ThreadID="1620" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin</Channel>
    <Computer>Merlin</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="HWLength">6</Data>
    <Data Name="HWAddress">00216B5419EF</Data>
    <Data Name="StatusCode">121</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    seems like you have a problem with your local area connection adapter which is causing it to fail to assign a DHCP address after going to sleep
    Try right clicking the internet icon on taskbar and going to open network and sharing center. click on the change adapter settings on left panel.
    Rightclick on local Area connection and choose properties.
    Click on the configure button.
    select the power management tab.
    Make sure "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unticked and also "allow this device to wake the computer" is unticked.
    OK out of all boxes
    restart computer and then try it on sleep again
    Maybe when in sleep mode it turns off your local network adapter so when restart it can't reconnect causing errors.
    This is assuming you are connected using a Ethernet cable. maybe same check for wireless adapter not sure as my desktop does not have wireless.

Failing this try opening a command prompt in admin mode and type sfc/scannow to see if there are any corrupted system files which it will attempt to repair.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-02-13 at 06:41.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Shut down again today with the BSOD.
    This event "Critical" was reported in the event viewer.

The NLS operation failed because the registry key \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control \Nls\Sorting\Versions cannot be opened. Error code is 19. Error message: The media is write protected.

Still not showing anything in Bluescreenviewer

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a though, could it be the Hard drive which is the problem.
    If it's not only ask because i saw another site which talked about this causing a BSOD after resuming (but it was in a beta system of windows 7)
    I did adjusted the time to wait till sleeping for the hard drive to 600min so it shouldn't have gone to sleep.

Thanks
    The Registry key being locked may be indicative of malware.

Now that you've had another BSOD, what does BSV show?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing at all showing in BSV.
    I have reset the minidump to record but I had done that the other day and nothing is showing.
    If it is malware? how do I check and remove it.
    I have up to date Malwarebytes which is showing nothing and neither is AVG antivirus.
    Any other suggestions for checking malware?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast