Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Casper 7.0 reviews?

I've read many good reviews about Casper backup software, but there are none available for the latest version, 7.0. After seeing the reviews for the latest version of Acronis, which are horrifying, I swore that I would never install any software before reading the reviews of the version I was installing. So, even though Casper has gotten excellent reviews, can anyone tell me whether the latest version is equally good?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Thanks
    Hi Ellen,
    unfortunately its never been mentioned in the Lounge AFAIK. Is it possible to get a trial copy before deciding.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I've never heard of Caspar before (except as a ghost!), but the usually suggested product is Macrium Reflect, if you don't want ShadowProtect or Acronis TrueImage or EaseUS ToDo backup...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

casper 7

I have used Casper since Version 3. I've tried others, and nothing compares. It makes a full copy, file by file, and the best part: fully bootable. My laptop has two drives, and I use only C on the primary. Once a week, I make a Casper copy to the second drive, E. A few times a year, I change the boot sequence and boot to the second drive, just to make sure all is right. It has never failed.

Forgot to mention: I have V7, and yes, there is a trial version. http://www.fssdev.com/
    Last edited by robertpri; 2012-02-12 at 04:03. Reason: adding more

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, robertpri. I just wanted to make sure that they hadn't done something in the new version that made it worse, like Acronis has done. If you haven't read the reviews, Acronis TrueImage Home 2012 is not just buggy and unreliable, but it also wrecks your computer. I imagine such catastrophic failures by a software company are extremely rare, but it really was disturbing to read about.

Unfortunately, unless there's something I don't understand (quite likely), I think I'm not going to be able to take advantage of the ability to boot from a Casper backup, because my computer is so old that the BIOS does not recognize additional hard drives or external drives. I am already using Acronis TrueImage Home 2009 to back up to an additional drive (F) I had installed in my computer, and it seems to be running OK, although I've never actually installed a new C drive and tested it. I want to run Casper because I've read enough to feel that Acronis is just not entirely reliable, and it can't hurt to have a second, different backup.

Ellen

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand the inability to boot from a second drive. That is a drawback, but not impossible. If this is a tower, you can switch data cables, but then you have to change the hard drive jumpers. Not worth the effort. I dislike ghost backups! How do you know they worked? If you screw up a file in the C drive, how do you go fetch that one file from the backup?

This is another reason I like Casper 7. It's a file by file, dynamic copy, using software that "closes" your operating file for a micro second, copies it, and then opens the file. This has a technical name, but I forgot it. "Shadow Services or something". This enables windows files, even while in use, to be copied live. That is why other programs use ghosting images, but I refuse to use ghosting or images.

Yes, some swear by it, but I ask, "When was the last time you tested your backup to see if it worked"?

I can test Casper in a minute with no effort.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decibelle View Post

Unfortunately, unless there's something I don't understand (quite likely), I think I'm not going to be able to take advantage of the ability to boot from a Casper backup, because my computer is so old that the BIOS does not recognize additional hard drives or external drives.

decibelle,
    Hello ..... are you sure that your BIOS won't (see) Boot from a CD\DVD drive or External ? Doesn't sound possible ....How would any OS get installed otherwise?..."Just Askin". Also Acronis 2009 can be setup with a F-11 initiated recovery manager....so you could boot into Acronis in the event of some failure...As long as you have an Image stored someplace other than the failed HD Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ellen,
    I too am a long time user of Casper software. I use Casper 7 a couple of times a week on my home computer, but my preference is to use the optional Casper boot CD which costs a few dollars extra. By booting to the CD, nothing else is running on the hard drive and I feel I get faster copies. It also works well installed, but my preference is the CD version. Casper also does incremental updates, so the second time you run it, it does not take very long at all since it only copies the changes from the last backup. I also have the Casper 6 Technician Edition license and have used it at least one hundred times while repairing other people's computers. The program works great and their Tech Support is good as well. As robertpri mentioned below, it makes a full copy, not an image, so if you accidentally delete a file, you can connect your external hard drive backup and copy that one file back to your installed hard drive.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good stuff, dagar7,
    I also have an ext ESATA drive, so while having dinner, Casper copies my C to E, and then E to G. The very first copy can take awhile, over an hour, but after that, it rarely takes over five minutes. Assuming this is done weekly or so.

Like you, I have the Casper boot CD and only ran it once to ensure it worked. It worked perfectly, so I set it aside in case of a future emergency.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello... Macrium Reflect , EaseUS TODO Backup ...both are available with "Free software Downloads" They both have the ability to "Burn" a "Rescue Recovery Disk" as well as a "Clone Function" ( also many Tools) ..."Just Sayin"...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    A couple of the reasons I use Casper:
    1. Their Tech Support was willing to add a specific Etron USB 3 driver to Casper 7, that I requested to be added to the CD, since I needed that driver for my newest computer build last year. This is what I call outstanding Tech Support.
    2. I use it to store multiple computer backups on one 1 TB external HDD. For a company that I do work for, all 9 of their system hard drives are backed up to separate partitions and it is done easily and quickly, building a new partition in unpartitioned space as I do a backup. I doubt that it would be as easy to do with freeware.
    3. Before starting the backup, you can load a specific driver in Casper, if needed for a unique external hard drive provided by a customer.
    The ones you mention are probably perfectly OK for an individual user, but just thought I would explain a few of Casper's features that I think make it worth the money.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    dagar,
    Hello....Thanks for posting back with your information ..As i and probably many others have no experience with "Casper 7". For the average "PC" the two that i have mentioned along with the native Windows Backup (which i dislike) are more than adequate...With both of the "Freebies" (Macrium\ EaseUS) you can burn a simple "Linux" recovery disk , or a "WinPE" disk that lets you utilize all of the programs tools at boot time. They also are able to use "External" media for backups (HD's or Flash, DVDs etc.) I have tried them both along with Acronis 2010 V 7046.. Like The Macrium flavor over the EaseUS but that's just personal preference.. and use Acronis as my main backup... Guess the important part is that you "Backup" (full OS Image ) at the very least.... weekly... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>Hello ..... are you sure that your BIOS won't (see) Boot from a CD\DVD drive or External ? Doesn't sound possible ....How would any OS get installed otherwise?... Regards Fred <

Fred,

Yes, it will boot from a CD/DVD drive, but it will not boot from an external drive or even from the additional hard drive that was installed in it. Those last two are not included on the boot list in the BIOS.

Ellen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    robertpri and dagar7,

OK, I ran my first backup with Casper last night, to an external drive. It seems to have gone smoothly.

When I looked it over, I was a little startled to see that it had slightly changed the name of certain folders, changing every "My" to "Ellen's" (as in "My Documents" to "Ellen's Documents" and so on). Is that normal? Also, considering that it makes an identical copy (or does it?) of whatever it is copying (my C drive in this case), does it normally compress the data, because in my case the resulting backup is somewhat smaller than the original.

thanks,
    Ellen
    Last edited by decibelle; 2012-02-13 at 10:52.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decibelle View Post

Yes, it will boot from a CD/DVD drive, but it will not boot from an external drive or even from the additional hard drive that was installed in it. Those last two are not included on the boot list in the BIOS.

"db",
    Hello... To boot from an "External HD" It must have a "OS" installed on it...In other words you can't boot a "Data" HD...Also you would have to configure your system to "Dual" or Multi Boot".. I think we have a confusion of terms....I will explain what I'm trying to say

1. An "Image" (as is) Thats copied to a Data HD is not bootable ...you would need to "Recover the Image" to the Hard Drive.

2. You can "Clone" ( exact copy) a Hard Drive that will be boot-able.

3. The "Recovery Disk " runs the Imaging software before your system boots up (runs the program from a CD that you have made) You then can access any Image and Recover that you have stored somewhere.

Hope this helps .... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-02-14 at 15:12.
    PlainFred

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast