Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried a full backup with Casper 7 this am and it terminated before completion with advice to select "automatic" "enhanced" or "smart clone." I have no idea how to do these other types of backup. Any advice? I have backed up successfully previously to the same external drive with the same system- window 7 prof.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Best thing would be to contact support. They're good about answering.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to decibelle For This Useful Post:

PCLearner (2013-09-10)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PCLearner View Post
    I tried a full backup with Casper 7 this am and it terminated before completion with advice to select "automatic" "enhanced" or "smart clone." I have no idea how to do these other types of backup. Any advice? I have backed up successfully previously to the same external drive with the same system- window 7 prof.
    With Casper open, click to Explore in the left column. From there, click History and highlight the recent attempt that failed. Then click File > Send Reports > and you can click to send to Casper plus add some explanation in the text box. Casper will reply within 1-2 days. I've never tried to call them, but in Help there might be phone numbers.

In the meantime, I would use windows disk cleanup, then reboot and open nothing but Casper and try again. Given those choiices i would click Smartclone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to robertpri For This Useful Post:

PCLearner (2013-09-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have sometimes found that Casper sometimes terminates before completion. I usually solve that by doing a clean reboot, then cutting the internet, unload antivirus/firewall, and try again. Another trick if you have partitions is to do one partition at a time instead of the wholedrive though this gets difficult for the system partition because the best way in Win7 to backup the system is to backup the whole drive.

In theory you should not need to disable antivirus/firewall and Casper7 works in the background. I prefer to leave the antivirus running and reduce the severity of my firewall -- sometimes Casper helpfully triggers a detection from the antivirus.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ILowe For This Useful Post:

PCLearner (2013-09-13)

Thanks
    I don't have any experience with Casper, but I recently came upon a fairly detailed July 2013 review of Casper 7 by the Neat Net Tricks software review panel. The three reviewers were all enthusiastic about it. You can find the review at
    http://www.neatnettricks.com/?http:/...ew-casper.html

New Lounger
    Thanks

Casper 8.0

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would mention here that I too am a long-term happy user of Casper (since 3.0) and now use Casper 8.0.

I make monthly Casper backups to a local disk and it has been a lifesaver on several occasions. I don't make more frequent backups because (a) I use a separate daily data backup solution and (b) I have had instances where my system became irreparably damaged or unhappy but this wasn't apparent for several days, so with less frequent system image backup (via Casper) I can still go back to an undamaged system, whereas with a daily system backup I would already have overwritten the undamaged backup.

It is important (and comforting) to boot the backup system image occasionally.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dominicf For This Useful Post:

ILowe (2014-02-26)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345