Star Lounger
    Thanks

Skip .NET Framework 4 Updates?

Susan Bradley recommends (I think) that we skip all .NET Framework 4 updates - do members think this is a smart option? I have .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and .NET Framework 4 Extended installed on Windows 7/64 Home Premium.

I now have seven pending updates totalling 120MB. Should I delete them, hide them or install them? I am not a developer - how useful is .NET Framework 4 for everyday use (browsing, Office etc)? If not useful, should I uninstall the existing programs? Maybe Ms Bradley could put more info on the topic in the next Windows Secrets.

Administrator
    Thanks
    IMO, If you already have .NET 4 installed you should keep up with the patches. Whether or not you care to follow Susan's advice and timing is up to you. You could uninstall .NET 4 and see if any applications complain. It can always be reinstalled. The problem with determining whether or not you need .NET is that programs that need it often will just install it as part of the program installation. From the on, if another program requires .NET you'll never know as it is already installed. Unless you are willing to dig into the documentation for all the applications installed on your PC you can't be sure if .NET is required and if it is which version is required.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In following up with the original question - I too have many .NET updates (both .NET 3 and 4) that I'm waiting to install, per Susan Bradley's advise.. If I decide to just go ahead an install them - is it necessary to do all the ones that I've been saving - or would installing the latest patch catch me up?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamKoryn View Post
    In following up with the original question - I too have many .NET updates (both .NET 3 and 4) that I'm waiting to install, per Susan Bradley's advise.. If I decide to just go ahead an install them - is it necessary to do all the ones that I've been saving - or would installing the latest patch catch me up?
    I think if you update via Windows Update it will work out what is needed and download just that.