Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Looking for article on speeding up Win7 SP1 after install

I'm hoping a lounger keeps better records than I do! I've lost an article I'd thought was saved on my desktop regarding some steps to perform to speed up your computer after installing Windows 7 SP1. I believe it related to getting rid of installation files. Now that SP1 has been installed and is working fine on both computers, I'd like to remove those files, but have lost the instructions. There is no speed issue with the computers; I would just like to remove any install files that aren't needed going forward.

Does anyone know where I can find instructions?

As always, thanks for any advice!

Linda
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2012-02-14 at 19:34.

Thanks
    How To Geek is your friend
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    I'm hoping a lounger keeps better records than I do! I've lost an article I'd thought was saved on my desktop regarding some steps to perform to speed up your computer after installing Windows 7 SP1.
    Linda,
    Hello...Are you referring to removing the "Backup" that MS makes when installing the service pack? ... If so you can just right click on Computer> Disk Clean-Up>Drive Selection>Disk Cleanup> Files to delete... "kinda " remember that this will remove the ability to remove the service pack ...but you get back a few GB of Hard Drive space. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Fabulous! Thanks to both of you. I think I must have been referring to the files you mentioned, Fred. Checked Ted's link and got a little nervous when it talked about why you might need these files in the future. That must be why the original article (keep thinking it was in one of Woody's newsletters) said to wait a while before attempting. It's been 2 or 3 months now and I've not noticed any issues, but think I'll check how much space I'll gain before proceeding.

Just as an aside, given the time that has passed (and my level of technical know how!), would you suggest removing or leaving the files? Just checked Disk CleanUp and the backup files take up 920 MB of space.

Thanks again,

Linda

Thanks
    I have removed mine! The only reason I could see to keep the removal info would be to do Fred's non-destructive reinstallation, and for that you could download Win 7 with SP 1 already included from Digital River, burn it to DVD and use this instead, so go ahead and remove it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it! With the ability to download it all if needed and save on a DVD, I feel totally emboldened! Thanks again.

Linda

P.S. I also feel more confident knowing a "real person" has done the removal with no ill effects!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I've done the removal on every Windows 7 system upon which I've installed SP1. >1 and < 100.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that's validation. Thanks!

Linda

Thanks
    And DrWho, frequent Lounge contributor, has listed several more ways to speed up Windows 7, any version. He may even have posted something at his own web site about this.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    WOW! And I didn't know anyone was even listening.

Disk Cleanup is a good idea, to run as a part of a Weekly PC Maintenance Routine.
    I've been setting that up for my customers for years.

But, as Disk Cleanup comes with any install of Windows, it's somewhat Wimpy.
    It only addresses a very few locations where Windows stores it's junk.
    To get it on Steroids, and to make it "Super Disk Cleanup" you need to tweak it a little.

Run Disk Cleanup from a desktop shortcut using this context and you'll be able to take out
    a lot more of MS's junk files.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

I suggest that you copy and paste that blue line into a New, Desktop, Shortcut.

* Note: The first time you run 'Super Disk Cleanup' you must put a check mark in the box next to
    each thing you want to remove. I suggest you check everything, BUT Office Setup Files and
    Setup Log Files. Just leave those two items UN-Checked. OK?

** If you still have 'Compress Old Files' in that list, don't check it. After I run my registry tweaks,
    that entry disappears.

Almost, everything I use to setup a new Windows 7 PC, or tune up one that's been set up by someone else,
    is in my Windows 7 Stuff folder on my web site, (link already posted).

As Win-7 comes out of the box, it's a read DOG. (sorry Microsoft!)
    But it's bogged down with so many SAFE DEFAULTS that it can hardly run and never runs up to the
    capability of the hardware it runs on.
    Another sore point for me (at least) is Services. I can disable as many as 40 services in Win-7 and not adversely affect the day to day operation of the PC, but it sure takes a load off of the CPU and can speed up boot times as well. My "Set Services" batch file is in my Windows 7 Stuff folder as mentioned above.

That makes me sick, when I set up a new PC with a Quad Core CPU, 8 gigs of ram and a fast HD and it
    runs like CRAP. My time is valuable and it really ticks me off to have to sit there and wait and wait and wait, for a PC to do something after I've clicked on a shortcut.

Of course, I'm comparing it to my own five year old PC running XP-Pro-SP3 that runs like a scalded cat.
    I boot up in about 30 sec's and shutdown in about 5 sec's. When I click on a shortcut to open a program it nearly Explodes on the screen. But I don't have anything running in the background, that doesn't absolutely,
    positively HAVE to be running there. And, I keep my HD squeaky clean.
    Part of that, is due to the XPCleanup.bat program that runs from my Startup folder, on every boot-up.
    I call that "My FREE Maid Service".

Having a good running PC, is really NOT rocket science, but it does require a bit of forethought, persistence
    and follow-through. It's called, "Make a plan, and then work the plan".

Wow,,,,,I didn't mean for this post to become a rant. Sorry guys!

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-02-16 at 11:49.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2012-02-19)

Thanks
    DrWho, many of us do indeed listen to you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It had been a while since I'd read some DrWho advice, but I certainly knew about him. Hadn't realized he had a web page (thanks for the link, Ted), but will check it out.

I got a lot out of his "rant" and agree with much of what he says. The biggest challenge, for some of us, is the forethought part he mentioned as we aren't ever quite sure about how to proceed. This lounge is a big help, but I know I'm guilty of just getting to work and not paying enough attention to clean disks and registries. Sigh!

Linda

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    It had been a while since I'd read some DrWho advice, but I certainly knew about him. Hadn't realized he had a web page (thanks for the link, Ted), but will check it out.

I got a lot out of his "rant" and agree with much of what he says. The biggest challenge, for some of us, is the forethought part he mentioned as we aren't ever quite sure about how to proceed. This lounge is a big help, but I know I'm guilty of just getting to work and not paying enough attention to clean disks and registries. Sigh!

Linda
    Maintenance, like household repairs, does take a bit of discipline. You never realize the true cost of neglect until the system (or the house) needs a major repair. By then it's too late.
    -- Bob Primak --

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob, how right you are! I will keep your note as a reminder on my desktop. It's like any habit: get it going and then stick with it!

Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast