4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

McAfee vs. Norton 360

Hi,

I am using Windows 7. I would like to know if Norton 360 is more effective in protecting one's computer than McAfee.
    Thank you.

Moon

Thanks
    I would think almost anything is more effective than McAfee, but then again I do not like Norton either. This is a question that will get you a lot of very exact answers on what people like. We all have our favorites and stand behind them. I use and very much like MSE.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    McAfee: as bad as it's always been.
    Norton: better and less resource-intensive than it used to be.

I'd give Kaspersky Internet Security a try. It comes near the top in the various AV tests. Get a cheap 'old' copy (2011? 2010?) from Amazon, say, and you get a free upgrade to the latest version at the cost of a 145MB-or-so download.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Hi,

I am using Windows 7. I would like to know if Norton 360 is more effective in protecting one's computer than McAfee.
    moon,
    Hello... I have never use McAfee..but am quite familiar with Norton 360 and 2012 NIS ... I now use "Norton Internet Security 2012" and find that i really never used some of the functions of "360" ...The best part of 2012 is that you can configure it to however you want (what, where and when) and how to scan ... I particularly like the "Boot time scan option" and even this can be set to aggressive or normal or off... I'll have to find some old posts (search the lounge) and give you a link about 2012 that show some screen shots....If you want to take control of your security (completely) use Malwarebytes PRO, and NIS 2012 (and no MS stuff at all) . Regards Fred

PS: Have a look see at this post It's about NIS2011 but their about the same Post # 17
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-02-14 at 08:58.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was very disappointed with negative reviews of Norton's software products when Wndows 7 was released. Lots of people said that Norton Utilities simply did not work properly in Windows 7 - and I loved it under Windows XP.

Based on those reviews, I stopped using Norton completely. Now I use WebRoot Secure AnyWhere for all computers on my network. I am very pleased with its performance (speed) and small footprint.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The latest 2 or 3 editions of Norton seem to have improved a lot. I wouldn't mind using Norton, but I would never waste money on McAffee.

Thanks
    Agree with Fred..... have had some computers come with McAfee and removed it post haste. Just don't 'gee and haw' with it. Norton AV and then later IS has done a good job for me. The 360 is an absolute memory hog. Someone installed it on the secretary's computer in the church office and it was nothing but a problem.

I buy the Norton IS 3 computer package when someone has a rebate, so it comes pretty cheap for 3 machines. I use it on my main ones, and use AVG (free) on my old Dell XP.
    I recently purchased Malwarebytes paid version and am running that on my primary machine. Seems to do the job.
    Last edited by midnight; 2012-02-18 at 09:39. Reason: another thought