Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Defragmenter Problem

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

I had set the defrag utility to run automatically every Wednesday, and it was doing so. I had not checked it for some time but on a whim decided to do so yesterday, but when I clicked on dfrgui nothing happened apart from a command window flashing on and off the screen. The same happened with Defrag.exe.

I have tried system restore and clicking on the same things in system images made with the paid version of Macrium Reflect, but it made no difference.

If anyone can tell me how to get the program back to normal I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    Hi Roy

AFAIK Windows defrag gives no notification if a defrag is not needed after analysis.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    What happens if you start it from Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check it hasn't been disabled in services. Type 'services' in start box and select it from list. scroll down list till find it right click and see if is set as disabled in drop down list. If it is reset it to automatic or manual.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I tried everything mentioned but it made no difference.However, I was having other problems so I used the nondestructive reinstall method,following Fred Langa's instructions, and it worked like a charm. Disk Defragmenter is now working properly.

Best regards, Roy