Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question File locked for editing by 'another user' (Excel 2010)

Hello there!

Here's my problem: We have several Users (> 25) who are using Excel 2010 to get the work done. During the day it is inevitable that someone tries to open a file someone else is currently working on. Resulting in a message "File locked ... by 'another user'...". In Word 2010 the message says exactly which user is blocking the file. But Excel 2010 insists on 'another user', regardless the fact that the username is existing under options.
    Since there are so many users, who are placed all around the building, it is quite difficult for them to find the one. So finally the end up with me, and I locate the one via the server. Although it can be done this way, I would prefer if Excel could just use the existing username. I tried to google my way to find a solution, but didn't find a decent one.
    So I hope the combined knowledge of the lounge can assist lil' ol' me.
    Thanks!
    Philipp
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Murphys Law rules the world, bow to it!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I would recommend you avoid any suggestions of using 'shared workbooks'.

You could get someone to add some VBA to the file:
    When the file is opened, if the file has read-write access (i.e. nobody else has it), then fetch the current User's login name and write this to a spare cell, then immediately save the file.
    If the file is opened with read-only access, then 'fetch' the stored name of the User who has locked it and display this as a message to the User who has opened the file.

zeddy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning zeddy!

Thanks for your reply. Although it would work this way, I'm not quite happy with this solution. It still doesn't explain why it's working with Word but not with Excel. I found some suggestions that there might be a userfile (ie File1~.xls) left in the folder, but there is no such file present. It only shows up when the file is actually opened, but this is by design.
    I appreciate any assistance. In the meantime, I keep torturing google.
    Philipp

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Kougar

There are many things that work with Word but not Excel. It's because there are two different independant Microsoft development teams responsible. Aside from using Excel's shared workbooks (will likely cause much worse problems) there are a number of 'creative' solutions which can be used but they will involve minor use of VBA.

zeddy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi zeddy!

Don't worry, I won't use shared workbooks. I've done that some time ago, ... never again.
    I've found something else in the meantime. I'll try some of the suggestions here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...=1329315085553) and let you know if it worked.
    See you around.
    Philipp

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi zeddy,

great idea how it can be done via vba , i like your idea...

Thank you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Windows Explorer, change the view settings to show hidden files. Look in the folder where the file that you are trying to open is located. Ensure that no one is using the file. If you see a file with a tilde prefix and the same as name as the one you are trying to open, delete the file with the tilde prefix. After that you should get the message as to who already has the file open. Example. if the message doesn't indicate who is using the file when you try to open the file xyz.xls, delete the file named ~xyz.xls that is in the same folder (you need to show hidden files).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissKiwi View Post
    Ensure that no one is using the file.
    That's the original problem.. They know someone *is* using the file, but are having problems finding out who......