2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can I highlight populated folders in Explorer?

My company is introducing a standard template of folders and sub-folders which we will use for each new contract we undertake. These will be used to store all the files (documents, spreadsheets, photos etc) relating to that contract.

However, in trying to devise a template which covers all eventualities, we will inevitably have some small, simple contracts where lots of the folders in the template will remain empty, because there will never be any files for that particular folder, on that particular contract.

We typically access these contract folders through Windows Explorer.

Is there any way, on entering the template in Explorer, for the particular folders which have been populated (as opposed to those which are empty) to be highlighted in some way (so people don't waste time looking for files in folders which are empty)? I realise that having Explorer sort folders by date would put the most recently updated folders at the top of the list, but that isn't the perfect solution because people won't always have their Explorer view sorted in this way, and I was really looking for a solution where the populated folders were somehow highlighted in an eye-catching way, without having to perform extra steps or sorts.

Thanks in anticipation.

Neil

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Neil,

Don't know a specific solution to your problem but JIC you aren't aware of it you can hover over a file folder in the right pane of Explorer and the popup will tell you if the folder is empty so you don't have to open it.
    Empty Folder.JPG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well although that isn't exactly what I was looking for, it is certainly very helpful.

Many thanks for your reply Mr Geek!

Neil

Thanks
    Neil, I use Rainbow Folders to highlight special folders.
    You can find it here....http://www.english.aionel.net/
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Banyarola For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2012-02-15)