3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Little blinking modem lights like in XP in systray for Windows 7 possible?

Remember how you could sit and look at the two little blinking icon modem lights in the system tray in XP? (I call them modem lights but we have cable.) They were 2 little computers and would blink alternately, depending if the computer was sending or receiving information. I used those constantly to tell if information was actually being transmitted or nothing was going on, and then I could decide whether to kill a page or not.

Sometimes when the browser reports it is "waiting" for response, there is actually communication going on and sometimes there's none at all.

Windows 7 did away with those little blinking icons in the system tray and even with the workaround ability to simply right click the network icon in the system tray (those little graduated-size bars) and instantly see a report that shows bytes.

I know I can right click and go to the network control center and then on the right next to the green bars click wireless network connection and get the report to show up on my screen. The little computer icons actually do blink if you watch long enough. But darned if I can figure out a way to get them into my system tray (far right side of taskbar) where I can see them at a glance.

Can anyone figure out how to get them in there? It may seem like a small thing but to me it's an important piece of how I work because it means I can use my time much more efficiently when doing research.

I want those blinking lights back. Very very much want them. They were convenient, simple, and told me what I wanted to know at a glance. Those stupid graduated bars sit there and do NOTHING for me.

Thank you all -
    Kelliann
    Last edited by kelliann1; 2012-02-14 at 14:46. Reason: fixing typo, clarity

New Lounger
    Thanks

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apf-ccc For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2012-02-14),kelliann1 (2012-02-14)

Thanks
    Hi Kelliann

There is a freeware utility out there for that. I haven't tried it myself, but here's the link:
    http://www.itsamples.com/network-activity-indicator.html

J
    ock

Edit: Oops apf-ccc is a quicker clicker than I .
    Last edited by jockmullin; 2012-02-14 at 10:21.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jockmullin For This Useful Post:

kelliann1 (2012-02-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    clapping: Jock and APF - thank you both!!!! You must made life so much easier for me! I am amazed - these are finally back~ Wonderful wonderful wonderful!!!!!

Kelliann

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem is they looked way too 1969 Star Trek for Win 7...much better to have a "fork" next to an unchanging blank monitor screen.