Star Lounger
    Thanks

Object Animation Error (PP97)

I'm new at Powerpoint, so forgive me if this is a real "newbie" question, but I'm stuck.

I've got a slide using the "two-column text" slide format. I've got it set for the title to animate (fly from top), then the left-side object flies in from the left, followed by the right-side object flying in from the right. (Sounds simple enough, right?) I've also got the left and right objects outlined with a border.

Here's the problem: When the slide begins, the border of the left-side object is already visible. Then the title animates, the text from the left object flies in to fill the existing border, then the right object (border and text together) flies in.

Any ideas *why* the one border shows up before anything else? Have I done something wrong here? And what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Object Animation Error (PP97)

Just tried this in 2000. Both (empty) borders appear with the slide, then the text fills in. Not sure what the problem is you're having.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for trying, Grant.

What perplexes me about this is that the left border is there *before* the text, but the right border comes in *with* the text. Same type of object, same formatting, same type of animation (only difference is the direction they fly in from), but different results.

I tried to attach the slide in question so you could actually see what I'm trying to describe, but apparently .ppt isn't an acceptable file type for uploading.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Anne,

Like Grant, I could not reproduce your problem and I'm using PPT 97.

First of all, I'm not sure why either text box even has a border. If you select the 2-column text layout, the placeholders for the text boxes don't even have a border by default (at least on my PC). So, one thing you might want to try, if it's OK with your goals, is to try turning off the border for each text box. Right Click on the edge of the text box to select it and choose Format Auto Shape (near the bottom of the menu). This should open a dialog box where the first tab is Colors and Lines. In the Color drop down in the Line section choose No Line. This might solve the problem since you now won't have a border.

However, even with a border, my experiment did not have the left border already on the slide. It "animated" onto the slide after the title (you can animate the border to be followed by each bullet point or animate the border to come in at the same time as all the bullet points).

Another, long shot item, is to make sure you only have 3 objects on the slide and that there's not a hidden rectangle there as a 4th item. To do this, select any one of the objects (the title object or either of the text boxes but probably best to do the title object first). Press the tab key to select the next object. If you do this 3 times, you should be back to where you started if you only have 3 objects. If not, there's another object in there.

Fred

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Object Animation Error (PP97): SOLVED!

Thanks, Fred! You put me on the path to finding the solution.

In the left box, I did *not* have "animate attached shape" checked, but it *was* checked for the right box. So I made sure it was checked for the left box, and EUREKA! The border now flies in with the text.

I guess it was a newbie error after all.

Anyway, the reason I wanted borders around the text is that each box displays text in three columns, and I wanted anyone viewing the presentation to be able to easily distinguish the two sets from each other. So I thought putting borders around each example would visually separate them, so it would actually *look* like two sets of three columns, rather than one set of six columns.

Thanks again!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sometimes the mind of an "expert" is cluttered so that we miss the obvious, as in your case. Three lashes, to all us experts!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Anne,

Glad to hear you solved the problem. I wasn't exactly sure what I said that helped.

It sounds like you created a rectangle around each text box as a separate object - is that the case? But forgot to animate the left rectangle. Hey, we all learn things on the lounge.

As I said, you could add a border as part of the the text box object by going thru what I said instead of adding a separate rectangle object. Visually, they'd probably look the same and could even act the same depending on how you animate them. Not many people use borders around text boxes so it might not be obvious to look for it.

Fred

Star Lounger
    Thanks

And a pile-o-lashes to me, for not recognizing the (now obvious) error in the first place! Thanks again for the help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howdy, Fred. Actually, I didn't create a separate rectangle around the box (I am way too lazy to go through that much extra work). I made the border by selecting the box itself, then under "format autoshape" choosing "colors and lines" and selecting attributes for the line (color, thickness, etc.). That's why I was so perplexed when the border came in before the text--they were both part of the same object.

It still strikes me as odd that the border of an object is considered an "attached shape" (rather than attribute of the object) when it comes to animation, but I suppose one has to expect that sort of logic with Microsoft products. And we do live in a Microsoft world!

Thanks again for the help.

Bottom line: I got my slide to look beautiful, and the boss liked it. Yaay!