5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Print/Listing of a folder's files - how to?

How do I get a paper copy/listing of the files in a folder? I can remember doing this way, way back in the DOS days using a "redirect" feature of some sort, but I am wondering if there is an easier way to do it in Windows (I am running Win 7 64 bit). I can "snip" the screen image, but the listing goes beyond a single screen and the process just gets messy. Any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the Microsoft Knowledge Base for Article ID 272623. There's a solution for Windows XP, but it may have been updated for Windows 7.

I think the command line route is easier, though.

Thanks
    Open a cmd window and type the following at the prompt

dir <folder path>\*.* /on>dir.txt&start /wait notepad dir.txt&del dir.txt
    and hit enter
    Notepad will open with a listing of the files in <folder path> in alpha sequence. Print from there.
    When you close notepad the temporary directory listing file dir.txt will be deleted.
    <folder path> should be the path to the folder for which you want a listing. If there are any spaces, enclose it all in quotes. If you are already in the directory in question then just leave out <folder path>\

Jock

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The late Karen Kenworthy's site is still live. You can get the free for personal use Karen's Directory Printer there.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

fred64 (2012-03-14)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The late Karen Kenworthy's site is still live. You can get the free for personal use Karen's Directory Printer there.

Joe
    Joe, thanks for the tip, Karen's program worked very well - it is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks also to tonyl and Jock, your input is appreciated, but Joe's solution did the trick. I just love this forum post a question get a good answer within a few hours or less.

Joe, you said the "late Karen Kenworthy..." - I was unaware that she had passed away, not sure where or when, but she was a gift to us all - I remember using some of her routines years ago, I had really forgotten about her site until you reminded me - thanks for that.

Regards,

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    She passed away in April 2011.

You're welcome. Glad it helped.

Joe