3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edit Items Pinned to the Start Menu

I have items pinned to my start menu.

I'm OK with right-clicking to unpin those.

But, I'd be a lot happier if I knew where I could modify the location of those items on my own.

For example, I might want to unpin something from the start menu and put it somewhere else. I don't seem to be able to do this in Windows 7: pinned items aren't simply lnk files.

I've found this folder, which contains some of the shortcuts that are pinned to my start menu:
    C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned

If I right-click on a file and choose "pin to start menu" a shortcut is added to this folder. If I right-click and choose unpin on the start menu, it removes the shortcut from this folder. But, if I just delete the shortcut from this folder, the item remains pinned (but now broken) on my start menu. But, this folder does have some extra utility for me because I can copy a shortcut out of it to some other location, which I can't do to the item pinned to the start menu.

The thing is, I have other items that I pinned to the start menu that are not in this folder.

Where are they? I'd like to be able to find the shortcut for one of them and put a copy of it somewhere.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the file in question is a batch filed *.cmd that is in my root directory. I use it reconnect network drives when there is a crash. The way I would have gotten this on the start menu in the first place is with a shift-right-click. Does any of this make a difference?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Boo,

If you right click on the pinned item then select copy then go where you want it right click and select paste.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    If you right click on the pinned item then select copy then go where you want it right click and select paste.
    No copy option is available for pinned items.

Quote Originally Posted by boobounder View Post
    The thing is, I have other items that I pinned to the start menu that are not in this folder.

Where are they? I'd like to be able to find the shortcut for one of them and put a copy of it somewhere.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the file in question is a batch filed *.cmd that is in my root directory. I use it reconnect network drives when there is a crash. The way I would have gotten this on the start menu in the first place is with a shift-right-click. Does any of this make a difference?
    If you know where the file is and how to re-pin it to the start menu if that's ever necessary, I don't really see how finding and copying its shortcut makes life any easier for you.

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also right click the start menu pinned item and pin it to the task-bar that gives you two places for it. If it makes it easier for you.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yes, this is a problem with obvious workarounds.

But ... I'd still like to get better control of how my machine is organized if someone has any other ideas.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To backup all pinned start menu items, there's a registry key involved as well as that folder:

How To Take A Backup Of Pinned Taskbar Items And Restore It Later (short version)

How to Backup the Pinned Start Menu Shortcuts in Windows 7/Vista/XP (longer version)

Bruce

Thanks
    Boo,

Sorry about that! I was refering to the items in the Jump List of the Pinned items not the Pinned items themselves. I misunderstood your question.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No probs RetiredGeek ... we're all friends here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I am good with BruceR's response: 1) it's going to be a pain if I really need to do this, but 2) it can be done.

I do like the example in BruceR's links. I hadn't thought of that possibility, but it is a better example than mine.

I also appreciate the earlier responses: the preferred method may just be to find the *.lnk and pin and unpin it as needed.

EOM

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In this case, drag and drop is your best friend. To quickly create a shortcut from a pinned item, minimize all, click the Start menu, right click on the desired item and drag to desktop. When you let go of the right button, you'll get a context menu that gives you the option to create a shortcut. Then of course you can put it where you like and delete the pinned item.

Any item you drag to the start menu gives you the option to pin it, but I suspect you know this already.
    Chuck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2012-02-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Only the shortcut is "pinned to the start menu," not the application itself. There is no reason to move it.