5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Blue Screen of Death' over and over again

LANGALIST PLUS

'Blue Screen of Death' over and over again

By Fred Langa

BSOD crashes are the very worst kind, stopping you in your tracks and forcing immediate reboots.

But sometimes, the associated error message might hint at the cause, letting you dig out a solution.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/blue-screen-of-death-over-and-over-again/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is in response to Al Lowe's problem with his window focus. It occurs to me that he might have inadvertently set his environment to resemble the old UNIX windows setup, where just mousing over a window selected it. That feature is still available in Windows 7, under "Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use" It doesn't indicate that there are any hot-keys that might activate it accidentally, but that doesn't mean there aren't any...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred Langa wrote "In both cases, to manually delete the file, check that you're running an admin-level account, navigate to wherever asuswsservice is located, right-click it, and select Delete. "

I suggest the file be deleted permanently, via Shift/Delete. Files in the Recycle Bin are visible to some low level Windows functions. An even better solution is to use one of the "file shredding" utilities. These not only remove the file from the file system's directory (folder) - which is what a delete does, they also overwrite the disk segments that the unwanted file was using.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Responding to "Firefox won’t update fully"

Your advice to Uninstall/Reinstall Firefox is generally a good solution, but sometimes problems in Firefox are caused by errors or corruptions in your Firefox User Profile -- and those files are LEFT IN PLACE when you Uninstall. Then, when you reinstall, the same problem recurs. This has happened to me at least twice.

When I had a problem with a recurring update failure, I followed the advice "manually reset the Software Update feature" listed on this MozillaZine webpage -- starting on line 3
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Software_U...rking_properly

For recurring problems in Firefox that don't go away with an Uninstall/Reinstall, always take a hard look at your user profile.

Love yer column,

Mike C

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Note there is a free program called BlueScreenView (here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html ) that makes viewing the BSOD crash dump files much easier. There are also options in Advanced System properties to disable auto-restart after BSOD (so you have a chance to copy the crash code) and adjust the dump file size (I set it to kernel memory dump for maximum information). One thing I recommend to less technically minded folks is to pull out their digital camera and take a picture of the blue screen (essentially create a screenshot) that they can share with others for analysis.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2012-02-16 at 11:57. Reason: Remove the thread Title header

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BSODs that get worse over time can well be due to heat, with a program being a red herring. Get a can of compressed gas, turn off the machine, and clean out the intakes, fans, and outlets. Blow off the motherboard...see if that helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Also in response to Al Lowe's problem, when something similar happened to me whenever I used a laptop - Windows or Mac - I traced the cause to the "heel" of my hand brushing against the trackpad. (I hate trackpads!) The solution was to turn off the trackpad and use a mouse!