2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

swap Home Premium and Pro licenses

I have a Win 7 Home Premium 3 pack. I used to have 3 computers on it, one has now been replaced, so I only have 2 active (activated and working). I know if I ever go to install on a new 3rd pc, I'll have to call MS, etc. Not a big deal as long as I do it during the work day - but I do have to remember that when I go through the dialog and MS asks how many PC's I'm installed on to say 2 - meaning active on 2, not 3. The one I'm activating does not yet count in this context.

I also have a 10 year old PC running Win 7 Pro. The machine is semi-retired. I want to put my 3rd Home Premium license on that antique and put my Pro license on a system I built a year ago that has one of my 3 Home premium licenses on it now.

I'd like to know what you all recommend on the cleanest and neatest way to get this done with the least mess. Obviously I have to downgrade the antique system first. How do I do that? My impression is that I should just do a clean install off of my Home Premium installation disk, something I'd like to avoid if I can.

Once that is dealt with, can I just do an Anytime Upgrade and put in the license key off of the Win 7 Pro disc?

Thanks
    You will need to do a format & clean install on the "old" computer in order to remove the Windows 7 Professional installation.
    You will likely be forced to call MS when reinstaling one of your operating systems, but you can do so anytime 24/7, as a failed activation will prompt you.

You can upgrade an installation on the fly but not downgrade a Windows 7 pro to a Windows 7 Premium, hence the need to format and clean install.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I noted that I'd avoid doing the call at night because in this case even the phone automation will typically fail and I need to talk to a human, and MS humans are not available at odd hours.

As to the Win 7 Pro upgrade, I'm still not sure what needs to be done. I assume I go into Anytime Upgrade and that it will ask for the key (which might require a phone call). But once that's done is there any other installation to do?

Thanks
    MS has their people available 24/7 for activation issues, they have to.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I remember one late night call. I was reinstalling Win 7 on a HP laptop that had gone back to HP for repair several times. Each time it came back with Vista on it. Mind you that the problem was in hardware... So each time I got it back I put 7 back on, and because MS saw the 3 pack as fully used at the time it put me through a phone call. On one such call it gave up and said I needed to talk to a rep. But it being late at night it was unable to connect me so I had to try again the next day during fairly normal hours.

BTW, do you know all the steps needed for the Win 7 Pro upgrade?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Yes, the basic rep for the activation is available 24/7, but specific tech support is not.

To upgrade one of the Windows 7 Premiums you would have to go through "Windows Anytime Upgrade", located in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System.
    Select: "Get more features with a new edition of Windows 7".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Technically not tech support but the human who picks up when the automated phone tools fail after the internet tools fail! :-)

So I gather that once one does the Pro upgrade, answering questions, putting in the new product key (assuming no activation issues), that there is no software installation?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Performing an "Anytime Upgrade" and purchasing a key for it will release those features that have been specifically limited
    by a lessor edition. So yes, you may need to boot your computer while these other features are either installed or made available for use,
    but you will not loose any of your personal settings or data.

Consider doing a full drive image to an external hard drive irregardless of what you decide to do.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Understood, and thanks!