3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 - split to year pst archives

I have a huge Outlook PST - 11Gb when I looked this morning!

It contains all my mail from when I started using Outlook back in around 2005, so no wonder it has grown huge! I am getting concerned because the backup of the pst now takes hours.... and sometimes fails.

I use folders to organise mail into the same as I would use folders for filing. Projects have their own folder and subfolders, and at the end of hte project, the mail contained in that folder is exported and saved as a PST that forms part of our close out report to the client. All correspondence is then available, and it works well as a proper record of what we have done.

I want to archive other folders into years. How do I go about archiving mail contained in many different folders to year archives? Do I need to export a folder by year, and save as a PST with the foldername and year?

Is there a simpler way of reducing the pst file size? I would like to still keep the same folder structure if possible.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't know if there is a more efficient way, but I would do something like this:

1. Go to File, click Mailbox cleanup and choose Archive. Click the root folder and set an archive date that would cause just the 2005 posts to be archived. Click the Browse button and the bottom of the dialog and choose a filename (Archive2005.pst, for example). Make sure that you will archive the main folder and all subfolders (2 radio button at the top of the dialog should be selected). Click ok and proceed with the archive.

After archiving for 2005, repeat for the remaining years, one at a time, each time specifying a different archive file.

HTH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ruirib...

Thansk for the tutorial.... I will need to give it a try!

Quick question - does the archive move the e-mails / folders etc to that Archive, thereby reducing the size of the original? If not, then I would need to delete them after they were exported.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Yes, the emails and everything associated will be moved to the archive file. However, in order to recover the freed space, you will need to compact your .pst file. As it is big, that can take some time. I would also probably back it up, before compacting it, just as a standard cautionary measure.