Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Cloning HDD - basic Q's

We've got a HDD going bad; Dell is sending us a replacement as it's under warranty. The PC it's going into is joined to the domain. I'd like to use CloneZilla for this job (never used it, but I've heard it's not hard to use). What problems, if any, can I expect with the new HDD and the domain? I don't think there's a SID problem, but I'm not sure. (I'm rather new at working with HDD replacement.)
    Mike W.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Dell or the disk manufacturer should have a free utility to clone the disk. Connect the new disk to the internal controller, boot form the utility disk and clone. Just make sure you don't re-boot the PC until you have the new disk on the original cable and have removed the old disk.
    SID was never an issue.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Mike68847 (2012-02-16),rgrosz (2012-02-17)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike68847 View Post
    We've got a HDD going bad; Dell is sending us a replacement as it's under warranty. The PC it's going into is joined to the domain. I'd like to use CloneZilla for this job (never used it, but I've heard it's not hard to use).
    Mike,
    Hello... "CloneZilla" user interface is not all that easy to use... (clunky and geeky ) and it's easy to make an error for someone who has never used it before... I would suggest that you go through the screens first ... Another alternative would be to use Macrium Reflect (Free) Version 5 forward or EaseUS Todo ...Both have cloning functions that are much easier to use that "CloneZilla" Regards Fred

PS: Macrium Reflect Macrium Free EaseUs EaseUs Free
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-02-16 at 16:01.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Mike68847 (2012-02-16)

Thanks
    I did not find Clonezilla as easy to use as others I have tried. I use Acronis True Image Home. They do have a free trial available. A while ago there were instructions for both Acronis and Macrium posted in the Security and Backup Forum. It was during the older forum so the screen shots are grouped under the instruction set. If you choose to try EaseUS ToDo, go for the v4. I tried v3.5 and had some major problems with it.

Acronis Instructions

Macrium Reflect Instructions
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-02-16 at 16:14.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Mike68847 (2012-02-16)

Thanks

Free Paragon Drive Copy 11 Pro Special Edition (English)

2012 February 21. Giveaway of the Day, http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/, today has Paragon Drive Copy 11 Pro Special Edition (English) for its free giveaway. It's decent software. The offer is good until 3 a.m., Eastern, tomorrow. You MUST follow the directions carefully.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lesle View Post
    2012 February 21. Giveaway of the Day, http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/, today has Paragon Drive Copy 11 Pro Special Edition (English) for its free giveaway.
    lesle,
    Hello....Both Macrium Reflect and EaseUs Todo are both free and can do "Clones" as well as Image's.....and are always Free. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

lesle (2012-02-24)

Thanks
    Thank you.--JPF, for your information. Security & Backups is and has been for me a valuable and informative forum.

As I write I have Seagate HDDs and use the free DiscWizard & Seatools. But it's getting time to build a new machine and I want to move to "third-party" Clone/Image/Backup software, i.e., software not dependent on a specific HDD manufacturer.

At the top of my short list are of course Macrium Reflect and EaseUs Todo, and I thank you for making sure I knew about them; over the next few weeks I'll experiment with them, Paragon Drive Copy, and maybe two others.

Clone v. Image v. Backup.--there doesn't seem to be a standard, consistent, across-the-board, definition of these three. One person's Clone is another's Image. And so on. There's a real need here.

Giveaway of the Day.--is at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ and its name says it all. Maybe once a month there'll be software I actually can use. There're always comments about the day's offering, and thumbs up/down voting. IMHO it's worth checking out. Just use common sense and a grain of salt.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lesle View Post

Clone v. Image v. Backup.--there doesn't seem to be a standard, consistent, across-the-board, definition of these three. One person's Clone is another's Image. And so on. There's a real need here.

lesle,
    Hello..I'll try to explain the difference..

1. Clone ... This is used by those of us who are into "Imaging Programs" as follows...An exact copy of your C: (OS) Hard Drive, placed on another Hard Drive...You can then swap out and replace the old with the new....Used mostly for the case of a failing Hard Drive...( some also use this form as a way of backing up your OS). The down side of this is It takes up a whole Hard Drive ...And take's a while i Clone an entire HD.

2. Full Image .... Is a Snapshot of your entire OS..All Folders \ Files OS and personal.... The "upside" is they are compressed..around 40% to 60 % of the original...( settable with each imaging program) So you can have several (Images) on your Hard Drive... 2nd Internal \ External, or DVD's , Flash Drives etc. Most use this as an "Imaging" paradigm. I have Images going back years ...for various reasons, as well as weekly \ daily type.Typical Image Backup speed for me on any of my OS's is about 7 to 10 Minutes ( with Verification ) XP being the fastest and Vista slowest with 7 in the middle. Recovery about the same (done scores and scores)...Hope this clears things a bit Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Fred, can you clone a 200 MB drive to a 1 terabite drive or do the drives have to be the same size?
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    Fred, can you clone a 200 MB drive to a 1 terabite drive or do the drives have to be the same size?
    "Bany"
    Hello.. Of the two (Acronis and Macrium) that I'm familiar with the answer is no.... Don't have to be the same...Obviously, can't have more data than the available space of the new HD...see this Macrium Reflect Free version 5's...Link Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-02-25 at 09:57.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    I do not know for sure but do not believe you can clone to different size drives, but you can restore an Image to a different size drive, bigger or smaller, as long as the drive is large enough to hold the OS after it has been decompressed and restored. That is one of the advantages I see in Imaging rather than cloning IMHO.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Well, one of you guys is wrong.
    The question now is who..

I use Acronis and never cloned a drive but I have been thinking about it.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    I am most likely incorrect although not totally because as I stated "I do not know for sure but". I do not use cloning because the size of the clone is at least as large as the size of the master drive. Images are compressed files and take up less space. Many Images can be stored side by side in one partition or drive, be it int or ext. You can only store one image in one partition at one time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    Well, one of you guys is wrong.
    The question now is who..
    "Bany",
    Hello...We both said the same thing (Ted & I)... You can do this even if they are different sizes With either Macrium or Acronis Guess my post wasn't quite clear ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Guys,

One can clone from one drive to another of a different (e.g., larger) size, but the result will be a partition of the same size as the original, plus a lot of unallocated space. You then have to use a partition management program (or Windows itself) to format and partition the unused space.

Zig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast