Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

No login prompt after Windows Update reboot

Windows Update rebooted my laptop (Win7 Home Premium; 32-bit; Dell Vostro 3500) last night after "successfully completing" several updates. Now I cannot login because the login prompt never appears. Black screen "Starting Windows" swirl completes; goes to blue desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium label at bottom and Ease of Access keyboard icon in top left. Mouse pointer is functional. Keyboard is responsive but no interaction with onscreen items. Every 15 seconds or so, the screen very briefly blinks with a Win7 busy mouse pointer. This just continues. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing but I can shut down by pressing the power button briefly.

Rebooting in Safe Mode (with or without Command Prompt) does the same; still no login prompt.
    "Last known good" does not appear as an option.

Laptop's recovery partition is not present due to a HDD swap last year (my Acronis disk image included only OS partition - my bad!)

Any suggestions beside booting with a live CD, recoverying data and replacing with old disk image?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Go back into the control panel and try to reset your user logon as a first step.

Thanks
    Do you have PC Anywhere installed? If so, see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817142#appliesto

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I feel you may have missed my point. The control panel and any other Windows settings are inaccessible because the system does not even present a login prompt. I have no way to go back into anything. That's my problem.

I can view the HDD and files via a Linux cd so I may be able to modify some Windows files/settings that way, if I knew what to try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I probably should clarify that I am posting here from a different machine. The Windows system on the laptop at the centre of this post is currently not functioning at all.

Thanks
    Is there a chance you have made an Image prior to the updates? This would allow you to restore to your Image very quickly. If not if you have an installation DVD perhaps a repair install of Win 7 would fix your problems. If not perhaps you could download the Win 7 iso file (corresponding to your original version) from Digital River, burn it to DVD and use this DVD to run the repair install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka, No PC Anywhere is not installed. I don't think the gina dll issue described there relates to Windows Vista/7.

Ted, the idea of having to recover from an image is there. I was hoping maybe that there was another option, especially since I can access the files via a Linux cd. I don't have a Windows repair disc or a retail version. My PC's recovery discs are no good since the recovery partition was lost with the old HDD. I only have my OS partition image from before the HDD was replaced and a somewhat 'recent' image (Sept.). Yeah, I know. The iso download sounds like a possibility - is techdows a trusted source?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you boot into safe mode?

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WS Subber View Post
    Laptop's recovery partition is not present due to a HDD swap last year (my Acronis disk image included only OS partition - my bad!)

Any suggestions beside booting with a live CD, recoverying data and replacing with old disk image?
    WS Subber,
    Hello... I'm Confused by your statement " my Acronis disk image included only OS Partition" ...Isn't that what your trying to fix? (your OS) If you have an Image on the HD just boot your "Acronis Recovery Disk" ...If you didn't make one ..."burn one" from another PC.Then you could recover your Acronis Image.

Also you could try Booting from "BIOS Menu" Once into Bios Menu ( not setup) arrow to your HD and hit "Enter" ...this has worked for me at times. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    The iso download site is the trusted download site for MS iso Images. Been used by most of the leaders here in the Lounge and pointed to by sources all over the globe as the source for safe downloads. This points out the reason for Up To Date Images. An Image from Sept is quite old. Yea I know, "locking the barn door after the horse already escaped". For future reference. Good Luck!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, no I can't boot into safe mode.

Fred, the OS partition image I referred to was the one I made before sending my old HDD in for replacement (almost a year ago). I failed to image the recovery partition so now I have no recovery options on the new HDD. The image backup I did subsequently at the end of Sept/11 was my latest one.

Fred, I know it should be done more often, but imaging before each Windows Update is quite impractical.

Before I replace my OS with an image almost 5 months old, I might still hold out for awhile. The partition is quite fine but, hopefully, some Windows config file somewhere is just messed up, preventing a complete startup, or am I just being naive? Is there some way, using a live cd, to determine which specific updates were installed?

Thanks
    Try a hard power off for about 5 min, then turn back on. allow 10 min at least, before determining that you are not able to logon.
    You may also try accessing the recovery console from a borowed XP SP3 disk. Run a checkdisk from the recovery consoles' command prompt.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The machine started this behavior yesterday after a Windows Update and subsequent reboot. It continues today, no matter how many shut downs and restarts. This is Windows 7, not XP.

I've located a 32-bit Win7 repair disc and have tried "Startup Repair" to no avail. The process reports that the OS boots up normally. It DOESN'T complete (no login prompt), but hey!

System Restore from the repair disc initially failed:
    "An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x8000ffff)"
    and suggested using a different restore point. Here goes....
    - similar results for earlier restore points

I can 'Command Prompt' into the laptop's C:\ from the Repair Disc, but I need guidance here.
    Last edited by WS Subber; 2012-02-16 at 21:44.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of unsuccessful restore attempts and a final shot at 'last known good' got Windows to show user profiles at the login screen. I can log in, but Windows is definitely not normal. Data seems to be there but many Windows components are not (items such as system tray, only 4 control panel items present, only 8 items in task manager, no networking, etc.).

Time to salvage data and replace with image backup, however old, or could this be some type of hardware/mainboard failure?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WS Subber View Post
    Fred, I know it should be done more often, but imaging before each Windows Update is quite impractical.
    Since Windows updates only come out once per month normally, Imaging before each update is not only practical, it is cheap insurance that can save hours of work. Many Imaging advocates, myself included, advocate at least once per month Images. What better time than just before an update.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast