New Lounger
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Question Deleting Visual C++ Updates?

Hi ho, Loungers -- I have 10 Microsoft Visual C++ files that show up in my list of installed programs, some installed in 2009, some in 2011, all labeled either C++ 2005 or C++ 2008, all, evidently, the result of automatic upgrades, and all, presumably, loaded on at some point by MS Windows. I certainly never installed them. Do I really need them? Would it mess things up if I uninstalled them? I understand, though only dimly, that Visual C++ is an essential component for some programs, but I'm wondering which programs needed these updates.

The first 8 in the list, called either "Redistributables" or "Updates," add up to only a few MBs in size, but the last 2 in the list, called "Compilers," add up to about 450 MBs. I know that on a multi-gig hard drive these files aren't taking up any significant space -- but (a) I like to run a clean machine, carrying as little excess baggage as possible; (b) I think it'd be nice if I could find a way to discern which programs, if any, require Visual C++; and (c) I wish I'd been asked, prior to the upgrades, whether I want this stuff and/or told why it was being added to my system. I usually check fairly carefully before agreeing to accept and install updates -- most often following Susan Bradley's advice -- but I don't recall any mention of this particular kind of upgrade.

Any thoughts on this admittedly trifling issue? Remarks? Tips? Answers?

Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,218 Posts
    They are small, cause no harm and ended up there surely because some installed programs installed the original libraries. I see no need to worry about them and removing them may cause some programs to stop working.

St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 904 Posts
    Unfortunately, it is very difficult to tell what programs require VC++ much less a specific patch level. Some programs do require a specific patch level. As Rui stated the updates are small. Unless you are really desperate for HD space I recommend you leave them alone.