Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Should I delete Java from my computer Windows 7, SP1?

Just read a ZDNet article re. need to delete Java due to huge number of exploitables. Although I respect ZDNet, I never proceed without checking with Loungers!

What say you?

Thanks for your input,

Linda

Thanks
    I have Java, both 32 Bit and 64 Bit installed without a problem. I do keep them Up To Date. There was recently an update to bothe bitness I believe. If you keep them up to date and keep your security scheme up to date you should be fine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    What say you?
    Linda,
    Hello... I guess that depends if you need it "Playing Games", "3d", etc. See if this link helps you decide JAVA Regards Fred

PS: don't have it ....don't use it....don't need it
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, thanks to both of you. I do keep it up to date. Don't really know if I use it or not, I blush to say, but will read the article linked to and post back my decision.

Linda

Thanks
    With Java, Flash, Silverlight and various media plugins, you can disable them all on the fly; enable, refresh page and it's available. Once the page has been read, watched. dowlnoad speeds tested, I then close the page and disable the plugin again.

I routinely ensure that the only active plugins are Flash and GoogleEarth as I use these many times per browser session, other plugins are need only very rarely, if at all.

If you don't use it, uninstall it!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I removed it from my system. 2 of my AV/AM programs alerted me to some exploits in my Java cache. I like Satrows advice, but I am not sure it would have helped in my case. Unless you use it regularly, you could probably get rid of it.

Thanks
    I deleted Java from all our computers here at the house last year as I was getting similar messages to what klb mentions. The only thing that it seems to affect, on my systems, is that the upload/download speed meter from Hughes net won't work. Probably best I don't know anyway.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Java is no different from other add-ons - you need to make sure you keep them up to date, and apps like Secunia PSI are great to ensure you do.
    Of course, Java needs only to be installed if you need it. Some sites do require it and there are some apps that do too. As long as you keep it up to date, there is no need to remove it, IMHO.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jshiii (2012-02-26)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Of course, Java needs only to be installed if you need it. Some sites do require it and there are some apps that do too.
    One of the most notable apps that require Java is OpenOffice / LibreOffice which comes bundled with Java to support the Database component (and other advanced features in Writer and Calc).

Linda: If you remove it now, it may be automatically re-installed at a later date (coming bundled in with a new application) - in which case you may end up in a worse situation by having an outdated and less secure version installed. Keep Java updated and you'll be fine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

jshiii (2012-02-26)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! Fantastic. No wonder I couldn't survive without this Lounge - unbelievably detailed and knowledgeable information provided so freely and helpfully - and in understandable non-geeky language. Thank you all so much. For now, I plan to keep Java and keep it updated (I use Secunia PSI, thanks to this Lounge) and see if that works. I liked the "enable/disable" suggestion, too, and can see that proving useful. I recently had to go that route for all my Firefox add-ons to try and solve an issue I was having there so at least that's something I know how to do!

Off to run Secunia and see what shape I'm in currently ....

Many thanks to all of you!

Linda

Thanks
    On a slightly side track, I also use Secunia PSI, but have found that FileHippo.com Update Checker is actually a little better at finding some outdated apps. So I use both and still sometimes find things manually. Have a great weekend.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    More sound advice, Ted. Thanks. Just downloaded it now - liked the look of what it provided. The information looks easy to read and understand. Another weapon in my arsenal, bow in my quiver ...

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    The only thing that it seems to affect, on my systems, is that the upload/download speed meter from Hughes net won't work. Probably best I don't know anyway.
    midnight,
    Hello... There is a nice little Free program that sits in the tray Networx shows "Up and Download speeds as well as a graph, etc. ...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    When working on customer's PC's, I regularly find versions of Java going back many years. Six or more versions is nothing unusual.
    Most of those are over 100 meg's in size and really take up some valuable real-estate.

I just delete them all, then install the very latest version. I try to keep the very latest version of Java and many other programs on my Utilities DVD that I take with me on every call. There are many programs that require Java and why not just give them what they need when they need it?

Similarly, the Dot net framework is needed by many programs. One program may require ver 1.0 and the next program may need ver 2.0, etc., so I just leave all versions installed and then there's no problem when some program needs one version or another.

There are many ways to save space on a HD without taking out something that some program might require to run.
    If memory serves, I learned that lesson the hard way.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-02-18 at 10:32.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Re. deleting Java: went into Programs list and saw that there were 2: Java 7 Update 3 (64 bit) 93.6 MB and Java 6 Update 31 97.2 MB. Both were updated yesterday via Secunia. Should I be deleting one of them?

Linda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast