4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update issue, and question

Running WinXP SP-3.

Yesterday, I installed the outstanding updates (6 of them) from the Windows Update site. I immediately noticed that my boot time more than doubled, so I uninstalled the updates except KB2600217, which I couldn't find in the Add/Remove programs listing in the Control Panel (although Windows Update shows it as having been successfully installed). I then re-installed the updates one at a time to identify which one was causing the boot time to more than double, and I isolated the problem to two of the updates, KB2633880 and KB2633870 (either one would cause the increase).
    So heads up, these two updates are a problem (I chose to leave them uninstalled).

My questions are as follows:

While I was re-installing the updates one by one to isolate the problem, there was an indication that they had already been downloaded to my computer, and would not need to be downloaded again prior to installation. This tells my that uninstalling the update did not actually remove the download from the disk. So I'd like to know exactly where the Windows Update downloads are stored prior to installation; I'd like to delete them from my disk after uninstalling an update.

Also, as stated in my initial paragraph, I know that KB2600217 was successfully installed. Why can't I find it in the Add/Remove Programs list so that I can uninstall it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks
    They were downloaded to one of your temp internet files on your PC. To totally elliminate the download you could clear the temp internet files through your browser.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted. I would've thought that re-booting after each re-installation would have cleared those files. No?

Also, any ideas regarding my 2nd question?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Also, any ideas regarding my 2nd question?
    LesF,
    If you go to My Computer>Windows....you will see $NTUninstallKB*****$ for each "KB" installed... give it a "Look see" ....Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Temp Internet Files are not cleared with a reboot
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, thanks for your reply. I did not find KB2600217 listed among the Uninstall folders you mentioned. KB2600217 is an update to .NET Framework 4 (there were a couple of those in this last set of updates), and might have gotten hidden among them and then automatically uninstalled with the other .NET Framework 4 updates that I uninstalled. Unfortunately, Windows Update only shows the update history, but doesn't indicate if any of the successful installations were subsequently uninstalled.

Ted, thanks for that info. Is there any way that I can set my browsers to delete the temp internet files when I close them? I thought that I had done that, but apparently not.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is there any way that I can set my browsers to delete the temp internet files when I close them?
    Yes.

Bruce

Thanks
    Thanks Bruce. It seems many users think their TIF automatically clear themselves when they exit their browsers or reboot their PC's. With fast connections that many of us have now, the need to keep copies of web pages in history to allow fast loads is not nearly as important and the potential security risks posed that I might be subjected to with all this old junk in my history, cookies and passwords is just not worth the risk. I have everything set to clear when I shut down my browser every time. My browsers do NOT keep passwords, ever, I clear my history always, my cookies are dumped every time. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I cannot afford to have some creep get into my financial info and wipe me out, period!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a little more specific info. For example, I use Firefox as my default browser, and I've set it to always use private browsing. I can tell you for a fact that there are almost always files left in the Temporary Internet Files folder after I close the browser, even though it was my understanding the private browsing would delete all history and temp files.

As for Internet Explorer 7 (which I almost never use), I'm not certain exactly how to make it delete temp files when I exit, although I've looked at all the options and tried to figure it out.

Thanks
    You can always use CCleaner to dump the TIF. My wife and I set out browsers up to dump each time we close then use CCleaner daily to clean up the leftovers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I guess what I'm saying is that if the browsers are doing their job (assuming the options are set properly), there shouldn't be any leftovers.
    In any case (since there always seems to be some temp files left), I usually clean them out manually or with the Windows Disk Cleanup Option.

Thanks
    I rarely clean out tif files in any of the three browsers I use and have yet to experience an issue. Performance is great on all three (IE9, Firefox, and Chrome). The only time I clean temp files of any kind is when I run into hard disk space issues but my disk is large enough, I have plenty of slack. YMMV.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Bruce, thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a little more specific info. For example, I use Firefox as my default browser, and I've set it to always use private browsing. I can tell you for a fact that there are almost always files left in the Temporary Internet Files folder after I close the browser, even though it was my understanding the private browsing would delete all history and temp files.

As for Internet Explorer 7 (which I almost never use), I'm not certain exactly how to make it delete temp files when I exit, although I've looked at all the options and tried to figure it out.
    I was trying to highlight the fact that you asked for how to set your browsers to delete temporary files but didn't tell us which browsers you used. I didn't think you'd want instructions for all the browsers you don't use. But my "Yes" was a link to instructions for IE and Firefox.

I find Firefox's settings for Permanent Private Browsing mode quite confusing (after checking that, Remember Browsing/Download/Search/Form immediately below are left checked). This page appears to show the best way to set permanent private browsing mode (which is to uncheck those options):

How to Set Firefox to Always Run in Private Browsing Mode

The same site has instructions for clearing files from IE7:

Automatically Clear IE7 Browser Temporary Files at Exit

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-17 at 14:20.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Bruce. Sorry, I didn't catch that your "Yes" was a link. And my bad for not mentioning which browsers and versions I was using (Firefox 10.0.2 and IE 7).
    Your "Yes" link only addresses how to manually clear the temporary internet files (which I know how to do).

Turns out that the link you provided for FF (in your last post above) refers to version 4. Setting Private Browsing in version 10 is much more straightforward (Tools/Options/Privacy, under History select Firefox will use: Custom settings for History, then check Always use private browsing mode). This is what I have my FF set to.

Also, I have IE set to clear temporary files at exit.

Yet I still have temp internet files left over after closing the browsers.

So the browsers appear not to behave as they would have you believe, or some temp internet files are not browser-related(?).

Thanks for taking the effort to try and help.