New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving From XP to Windows 7

I belatedly am going from XP to Windows 7 and have your Windows 7 All-In-One book. I am finding the switch from XP to 7 bewiltering. To start with, I may have activated WINDOWS LIVE ID. I want to use FireFox, Zone Alarm, and Windows Essentials for anti-virus. However, I am unable to even get icons to come up on the desktop. So my question is: is there a way to deactivate WINDOWS LIVE ID? . I have used yuour books in the past and like the idea of having a knowledgable source when I'm in a bind. Thanks.

Dantpom
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2012-02-16 at 19:05. Reason: Prepare for new Win7 thread

Thanks
    Dantpom, Welcom to the Lounge.

You might want to check some Win 7 tip sites such as:

How To Geek
    Ultimate Windows Tweaker
    Windows Seven Tutorials

and of course the Lounge. Many of the tips shown on these sites will give you much of the info you need to efficiently use Win 7.

To show desktop icon, try to Right Click on the desktop and click Show icons. I also have Windows Live and do not have a problem with it. That is not causing a problem. When you first load Win 7 by default there are very few icons on the desktop until you start to place them there. Start by doing the Right Click, Personalize thing. To the left you will see Change desktop icons. This is a good starting point for some of the basic icons. You can also go to Start Orb, All Programs and drag icons from apps to the desktop. When you install apps you can choose to place an icon on the desktop.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-02-16 at 19:26. Reason: Prepare for new Win7 thread
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can uninstall Windows Live programs in Add-remove programs. There are several Live programs listed there. Be warned--if you use Hotmail you might need a few of the Windows Live utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ Ted, I wish mine would have had "very few icons", I've still have 8 that I'm not done with & have gotten rid of several. Or maybe it's just that a few to you is different than my few.

just my opinion,
    grits

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantpom View Post
    However, I am unable to even get icons to come up on the desktop.
    Sorry, I thought this meant you were having a problem seeing any icons on your desktop, not seeing too many icons.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Sorry, I thought this meant you were having a problem seeing any icons on your desktop, not seeing too many icons.
    Different person!