Lounger
    Thanks

Can't open a website link from Excel 2010

I have a Excel 2010 spreadsheet in which I have several links to exchange rate websites. By just clicking on these links I can quickly check the current rate of exchange for a particular currency which I then enter manually. These links usually open the site from Excel without trouble. Recently I've not been able to do this. I get an Excel message telling me, "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on the computer. Please contact your system administrator."

I'm not aware of any changes I may have made that would cause this, although I have very recently changed from Firefox to IE9, but I can't imagine that this would cause the problem.

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you access the link directly i.e. outside of Excel, from this computer??
    If you have restricted internet access then you won't be able to do it through Excel until the restrictions are removed.

zeddy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Although this Microsoft Fixit article refers to Outlook, it's about the same error message in similar circumstances, so I believe it may be equally applicable to Excel:

When you click a hyperlink in Microsoft Outlook, you may receive the following error message:
    This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

After you upgrade to a newer version of Microsoft Internet Explorer the following registry key may either missing or corrupted:
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell \open\command

To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you would rather fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks

Can't open a website link from Excel 2010

Thanks for your responses. After posting I eventually came across the Microsoft page and the Fixit. I used it and the problem was fixed. Thanks for your help.