Thread: IE7 to IE9

Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE7 to IE9

I E 9 is being offered through Windows Update….I currently have I E 7…..

My ISP is Verizon…..My E-mail is AOL 9.6 Free…..I have a desktop shortcut for each…..I always us the AOL shortcut…..Rarely, the one for Verizon….

At the risk of taking you all back to probably the stone age of ‘how to’, could someone tell me what to expect…..This is the first time I’ve had to ‘upgrade’ I E…..

1---If I use Windows Update (instead of the M/S website for I E 9 download), will I be given the option of getting Bing and MSN defaults ….???--- The M/S website for downloading I E 9, offers this as an option….. I don’t want either….
    2---Will this be an ‘upgrade’ to I E…..???....thus, ‘deleting’ I E 7…..Or, will it be a totally separate ‘install’….???.....thus, leaving I E 7 in place…..
    3---If it’s totally separate and I’m left with both I E 7 and I E 9, do you recommend I keep I E 7 or un-install it..???.....If you say---Remove--- I assume I would use Control Panel > Programs and Features….Right..???
    4---Will Verizon and AOL automatically recognize I E 9 (and use it)….???.....Or, will I have to do some kind of tweaking…???
    5---Any / All other helpful hints....???

Thanx in advance for your help…..
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2015 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

Thanks
    First IE 7 will ALWAYS be replaced by a later version be it IE 8 or IE 9. You will not have both. If you uninstall the new you will be taken back to the old. Yes you would use Programs and features, View installed updates, uninstall IE 9 to return to IE 7. I use IE 9 as my default browser (love it) with Google Chrome (V 18 beta) as back up.

Most web sites have been updated to use IE 9. Verizon and AOL are both larger, well known sites, I have to believe they have been updated.

I always use the download for larger updates rather than WU. This allows me to disconnect from the internet, shut down all apps, including all security apps, so nothing interferes with the installation. You can always change the defaults to something other than Bing and MSN after the fact. This is a very easy thing to do. I use Google as my default search engine, and use 3 seperate default web sites as my homes pages, one of which happens to be MSN.

Download the IE 9 file from MS, Disconnect from the internet, shutdown all apps, install the update from the downloaded file, then reboot and start everything up. Reset your defaults and enjoy.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

VWDRV1 (2012-02-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted....Thanx very much for all the info.....Really eases my worries about doing this.....Thanx again....
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2015 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

Thanks
    You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As a side note don't get discouraged if IE9 looks different than IE7, there are some small differences but they are minor. I upgraded from IE8 to IE9 a few months ago and I must say, I've noticed a significant speed improvement. Good luck

Thanks
    By default, most of the toolbars from IE 7 are turned off (Command bar, Menu bar). To Turn them on just right click and check mark the ones you wish to use. It will take you a couple of days to get accustomed to getting around in IE 9 but it is faster and more secure.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted