Thanks

Group Policies: Why?

Our IT department has all of their domainees (made up word) controlled via "Group Policies" most of them are fine and a few have adequate work arounds but one is very irritating. They have "System Restore" disabled. They will not or cannot give me an explanation as to why and they will not add me to a Group which has this turned on if there is one.
    Does anyone know if this can be 'over ridden', or a work around? Or will I have to break free of the domain to get this back?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    In the corporate world we don't believe in system restore because it doesn't necessarily fix anything. We simply re-image your PC and know that everything will be OK. Saves time and effort.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Be careful about going against your IT dept. Many cos. consider this a termination offense. Most corp. systems are backed up regularly on servers and as such they probably do not wish to have individual PCes to have that capability.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, my two-pennyworth is that I don't think anyone here would be unethical enough to advise you anyway.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Microsoft posted how to try disabling it for Vista: System restore was turned off by group policy.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce,
    If RussB's IT department is doing it's job, they will have also turned OFF Group Policies. I know I would!
    Why would any IT department want individuals modifying or messing with the system. I can't think of ANY!
    No non IT employee should be messing with Group Policy or System Restore, even if a virus did manage to penetrate the Co's firewall defences, .. especially when an image can fix any problem so much faster.

..Keith

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can think of one pretty good reason to enable a policy like this. Assuming of course that users, in this case RussB, have at least enough rights to make changes that might require a new image or System Restore, the reason is to limit calls when people get in over their heads. And as already mentioned, System Restore does not cure all ills, and I'd be doing everything I can to minimize the number of help desk calls from people who really shouldn't be making changes in the first place. I realize that some users are more than savvy enough to deal with what ever comes up. But unfortunately many are not. Hence the policy.

Its pretty rare that companies would set a policy like this though. Most don't even give enough rights to users to install software or make other changes. We certainly don't. As part of that, System Restore is already locked down. Russ, are you an engineer or someone who needs to install software updates regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
    Bruce,
    If RussB's IT department is doing it's job, they will have also turned OFF Group Policies. I know I would!
    Why would any IT department want individuals modifying or messing with the system. I can't think of ANY!
    No non IT employee should be messing with Group Policy or System Restore, even if a virus did manage to penetrate the Co's firewall defences, .. especially when an image can fix any problem so much faster.

..Keith
    Why would you want GPO off?
    Chuck

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, I think? I guess I didn't ask the right questions or maybe was too short on background.
    I do technical support for an Industrial Automation Sales group supporting hardware and software and work quite closely with our IT people (most of them anyway).
    I do know how to take my PC off the domain and take control if I want to but then I lose some of the reasons for the domain. And I do not want to do anything illegal or unethical.
    I do use Win 7 Pro x64 and XPMode for most support issues where I need to install an old version of software or something from a customer for testing but there are times where that has limitations too. I cannot get the company to spring for an additional OS license to "legally" run VMWare although I do use runtimes from vendors or customers from time to time on a temporary basis.
    Installing, un-installing and loading images and VMWare runtimes are great and work well but they are not as quick as the old "System Restore" to put things back like they were an hour or two ago.
    I just may pick up an "extra" laptop that is not being used. It has an XP Pro license and will work for most of my testing, it will stay off the domain and in my control. Just need an okay from the IT manager, knew there was a reason for staying on their good side.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(