Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Clean Up Disk Space

Despite my previous post about Windows updating automatically even when it's not supposed to, I can't install Service Pack 1 because of a lack of disk space. However, I'm not having any success in cleaning it up. Here are the pertinent details:

1. I'm old school and have separate partitions for the operating system (C), data (D), and programs (P). I have plenty of disk space available, but the Windows Disk Partitioner doesn't allow resizing the system partition.

2. My C partition is 40GB, and what seems to fill it up is programs that install a bunch of stuff on the C drive, either because they don't offer an option of another drive or because they think something needs to be on C regardless.

3. Looking specifically at Quickbooks, which I installed to support my clients (I prefer Peachtree myself), I found it was using about 1.5GB on C itself, even though it was installed on P.

4. I uninstalled Quickbooks, but the process left a lot behind. I managed to manually delete most of what's left, but there is a
    {1D70AABC-4700-A708-EA56D1CA07B0} directory under Windows that I can't get rid of. Even when I'm logged in as Administrator, if I try to delete that directory I get an "Access is denied" message.

I've been working with computers for close to 40 years, but I've run out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of this directory and reclaim my hard drive?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Have you rebooted since uninstalling QB? Often the uninstall isn't complete until a reboot so it can get rid of items that are currently open or in use.

If that doesn't work consider reinstalling QB then download Revo Uninstaller Free and uninstall QB using REVO.

Lastly you can download Partition Wizard Home Ed. or EaseUS Partition Manager Home Ed. to resize your partitions including the system partition.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

dsliesse (2012-03-02)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Also, you might like to use Scanner from Steffen Gerlach which will allow you to visually check what is eating your disk space, then take action on those items.

I would council to proceed with a little caution as Win7 blurs the boundaries between what is the OS, applications and even user data. It can be configured and separated along the lines of your description (and it is a very worthwhile adjustment to make too).

By way of explanation, the reason why you get the permission denied messages is that a User (i.e. an entity operating under a user account) should not normally remove a program directory by way of deletion - that's after all what some malware attempts to do. The WMI Trusted Installer has the correct permissions to remove directories and other protected resources. It is invoked by a user launching an uninstall process. There are other add-ons that will grant the User the full administrative permissions if all else fails, but that's where the caution is needed.

With your level of experience, that shouldn't be a problem, but as with anything such as moving or deleting data, and partitioning etc, the general advice is to measure twice and cut once.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-02-17 at 14:45. Reason: to add link

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

dsliesse (2012-03-02)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apologies for the time it's taken to respond -- I wanted to look into everyone's suggestions before commenting.

Using Scanner, I did find one reason I'm short of space: my email is being stored on the C drive (6GB worth). I'll have to see if Thunderbird will let me put it on the data drive, where it belongs, but that's obviously the lion's share of the problem.

Just as a matter of interest, when I get the "permission denied" messages I'm logged into my administrator account. There shouldn't be any restrictions there (the administrator is supposed to be God as far as the computer is concerned!).

As far as logging off is concerned, the answer is a resounding yes. This is my laptop, so I shut it down regularly (I'm also of the old school that turns the computer off when done with it, anyway).

Again, thanks to both of you for your help. If I have any further updates, I'll let you know.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Just as a matter of interest, when I get the "permission denied" messages I'm logged into my administrator account. There shouldn't be any restrictions there (the administrator is supposed to be God as far as the computer is concerned!).
    Bear in mind that a user logged into an account that is an Administrator account does not have full unfettered access to everything under Windows 7. A user logged into an Admin account is not the same thing as root in Linux.

There are some very good reasons why this is the case, system security and stability being just two. The Trusted Installer that I mentioned does have the correct permissions and there are 3rd party tools that can grant the user the correct permissions, but doing so enables anyone or anything running under that account to do serious damage (think about unstable applications or malware in that context).

As regards moving the Thunderbird message store (in your Thunderbird profile folder), take a look at this Mozilla Knowledge Base article.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-03-02 at 15:01.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Service Packs mostly need space for temp files more than what's actually installed. If you run into issues with space on a C: drive and you have more than one partition, a trick to get them installed is to set the System temp variables to point to another drive. By default they are tmp=C:\Windows\Temp and temp=c:\windows\temp. Create a Temp folder on another drive and change the variables to tmp=D:\Temp and temp=D:\temp
    Chuck