Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question How do you turn off those little images that show up above the taskbar?

When you hover the cursor above the task bar a ton of little images spring out of nowhere. I want to get rid of them and only see a list of what is under each icon.

Like I don't want to see 12 itty bitty email images, I just want a single list. How do I get rid of the images?

If I find a situation where they are useful, I'll bring them back for that project but right now I don't want them.

Thanks!!!

Kelliann (PS just started up my old XP machine - boy, was that EVER so much more efficient and simpler to use. <sigh> )

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    They're normally referred to as Taskbar Thumbnails.

You can use a non-Aero theme, or increase the required hover time to something like 10 seconds (but get no list);

But if you want Aero and a list (if more than one) you can decrease the thumbnail/list threshold:

[SOLVED] - Disable Taskbar Thumbnail; Show List Instead [Revisited]

You still get a thumbnail for one if you decrease the threshold, so you may want to increase the hover time too.

Bruce

P.S. I love the thumbnails. You're an XP kinda girl, aren't you?
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-17 at 21:38.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Like I don't want to see 12 itty bitty email images
    Got the same problem, but I like the preview thumbnail, wish there were some way to limit the display to not include all similar windows, 13 tiny thumbnails that basically all look the same is useless. Can't help but continually think Windows 7 was designed for the hobbyist and not for the power user. I have visual task tips installed on the XP systems which gives just the one thumbnail preview, even in remote desktop, but of course W7 is not going to allow that program to take over that aero function, it would just mess things up most likely.

I don't know about simpler to use but if one relies heavily on explorer windows, yes, XP has the efficiency award by a clear margin. 7 still suffers a bit from the Vista hangover where as it only improves on Vista, not XP.

New Lounger
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to apf-ccc For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2012-02-19)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's what visual task tip does for XP thumbnail view. Unfortunately I don't have a screen wide enough (only 1920 pixels) to display all the thumbnails at a size that's visually identifiable--as soon as it reaches a width greater than the maximum screen width, they all get stacked in a text line mode, basic theme style.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    When you hover the cursor above the task bar a ton of little images spring out of nowhere. I want to get rid of them and only see a list of what is under each icon.

Like I don't want to see 12 itty bitty email images, I just want a single list. How do I get rid of the images?

If I find a situation where they are useful, I'll bring them back for that project but right now I don't want them.

Thanks!!!

Kelliann (PS just started up my old XP machine - boy, was that EVER so much more efficient and simpler to use. <sigh> )
    if you right click the icon of an opened program a list of what is there and used before pops up. Other than that I can't see what the problem is as on my comp only a little popup shows telling me what the icon is for except on icons of opened programs.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    if you right click the icon of an opened program a list of what is there and used before pops up. Other than that I can't see what the problem is as on my comp only a little popup shows telling me what the icon is for except on icons of opened programs.
    But for opened programs, the taskbar thumbnails can pop up before you can right click (at the default 400 ms or less); and right-click doesn't get you anything useful for open programs (not what is there), e.g. IE with multiple tabs/windows. So to people for whom a picture is not worth a thousand words, the pop-up thumbnails just become annoying.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-19 at 18:36.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Basically this is a quantity of similar programs or folders or documents being open at the same time problem; I think the default action should be to truncate distant thumbnails if the list becomes too long to fit on screen rather than have it resize the thumbnails until they become indistinguishable from one another. It still works well for programs with distinctly different content, like remote desktops, but for folders, not so good. In that case, barring a better memory, the slower list view is better or no popup at all and don't combine similar tabs and leave enough room on the taskbar to read them the old fashion way.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    They're normally referred to as Taskbar Thumbnails.

You can use a non-Aero theme, or increase the required hover time to something like 10 seconds (but get no list);

But if you want Aero and a list (if more than one) you can decrease the thumbnail/list threshold:

[SOLVED] - Disable Taskbar Thumbnail; Show List Instead [Revisited]

You still get a thumbnail for one if you decrease the threshold, so you may want to increase the hover time too.

Bruce

P.S. I love the thumbnails. You're an XP kinda girl, aren't you?
    LOL, yes, I am an XP kinda girl <g>. Someone asked me once to describe what I want out of my computer. To his dismay, I answered in a single word (he was all prepared for a half hour dissertation <g>). I said: SPEED!

That's what I got from XP. Speed and efficiency and split second action. There are times when I am emailing with someone on a job as fast as someone else might IM or text. I want to prevent someone from missing the message and replying to something earlier so I need to whip that message on out like lightning. WLM does not let me do that.

Having those thumbnails jump out and flash in my face and forcing me to scan their teeny contents to pick what I want is just so inefficient.

Having the mail program put up a list and then as I move the cursor through it, flashing full size emails out on the center of the screen at high speed drives my eyes batty and makes me dizzy (I have contacts set to monovision meaning one sees up close, one far away, and the brain must mix the images. Flashing images like that do NOT help and are really disconcerting and tough to handle.

I went to How To Geek and found out how to disable the thumbnail view for IE. But so far, have not found out how to disable popup thumbnails for Windows Live Mail, Windows file Explorer, Adobe reader and other stuff sitting in the task bar. Oh, I did find out how to disable the multiple windows in Word 2003 - it is a checkbox in Options but now I forget where. I posted about that in the Office section of this forum.

Kelliann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Infinicore said:
    >
    Can't help but continually think Windows 7 was designed for the hobbyist and not for the power user.
    YES YES YES!!! Excellent description! Gotta remember that one!! No disrespect to former aol users but I sometimes think that windows 7 is the aol of the early 1990s.

Of course hiding in the background is all that heavy duty complicated policy stuff with owners and all that jazz which is great for IT administrators dealing with gobs of computers but hey, for the single computer owner, even one with three, four, five computers in the house, most of it is not useful, or not to me at least. I understand (have been told many times here) that this is a "security" "feature" but my opinion is thanks but no thanks.

Kelliann

Thanks
    I'm with Kelliann on this, they're distracting and unnecessary for those of us who know what we want to do next.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Adela (2015-10-22)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just finished a HUGE project that took several weeks. I had 3 computers going, 3 browsers, more than 75 tabs "open" at a time on all three plus maybe 15 emails open at a time and so on and so forth. Those popup thumbnails were like having fireworks thrown in my face every time I went hunting for open Adobe Reader documents, somebody's powerpoint, somebody's excel spreadsheet and so on.

The saving grace was that I used Chrome on all three for a browser (IE was disastrously slow in comparison!). Chrome will not display popup thumbnails of its tabs. If it had, I would have had to quit the project from sheer exhaustion.

The more I learn this Windows 7 and hear about Windows 8, the more I think the day has come when we should consider the concept of one Windows for hobbyists and kids and another for business use and for people who don't need (and hate) flashy dashy thumbnails and assorted other razzle-dazzle such as turning their emails with photos into cutsie-wootsie "albums" and "slideshows."

I just had the really annoying experience, with Windows Live Mail 2011, of receiving photos from businesses that appeared in my email as tiny thumbnails instead of attachments, and had the (un)inviting "see as slideshow" under them. YUK. What? This is WORK, not playing with slideshows.

I eventually found I could right click a thumbnail and save it to disk. But it was so frustrating not to be able to use the scroll wheel on the mouse to zip down thru them and see each photo as fast as I wanted. Instead I had to see them in "preview"

Kelliann

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @kelliann - Try Taskbar Tweaker 7 ==>> http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I'm with Kelliann on this, they're distracting and unnecessary for those of us who know what we want to do next.
    Hi, and forgive my intrusion, but I finally found in your answer exactly what I needed which is: block altogether these Taskbar Thumbnails. Would you kindly give me the step by step on how to delete or block these things forever? I'm not an advanced computer person and aside from typing and a few easy things I just can't manage.

Thanks ever so much!!!

Adela
    Last edited by Adela; 2015-10-22 at 00:22. Reason: More clarification.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Using the software linked in Post #4 seems to do the trick.

1. Download the software via the Download link near the bottom of the Windows Club page.
    2. Once you have the ZIP file on your computer, scan it with your Anti Virus - you can never be too careful.
    3. Right click on the ZIP file and select Properties > Unblock > OK.
    4. Extract the ZIP file. Right click on it and select Extract All.
    5. Change to the folder where the software has been extracted - it will have the same name as the ZIP file, but without the ZIP extension.
    6. Run Taskbar tweaker and set your thumbnails.

cheers, Paul

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Adela (2015-10-22)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast