New Lounger
    Thanks

Files/folders not showing up in CD/DVD/BR reader/writer

I can insert a CD (such as a driver CD) or a movie DVD into my drive and nothing shows up. Click on the icon either the desktop or open My Computer and click that one. A blank window will open. If I go to disk management and click the drive there, then the files/folders will show up instead of a blank window.

This used to not be this way. Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix it?

Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    crnv88, welcome as a new poster.

In Disk Management is there an assigned drive letter? If not go ahead and assign a drive letter. This may fix your problem.

You might also have to reinstall drivers. Go to Device Manager, choose your device and delete it, then reboot and let Windows rediscover the device and install drivers for it.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-02-19 at 08:00.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Tea (2012-04-07)

Thanks
    Sounds like the upper lower filters problem. See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/31406

Run the Fixit on that page.
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Yes there is a drive letter assigned in Disk Management (otherwise the shortcut on my desktop or in My Computer would not work). I thought about uninstalling in Device Manger but then did not do it. Guess I'll try that next.

Jerry,
    I already tried the Fixit though I don't think that is the problem as it's for if the CD/DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows. It is recognized, just when I put a disc in, no files or folders will show up until I go to Disk Management and click on the drive there first. Weird!

I tried the Fixit again for grins but it encountered an error and wouldn't run. I know there is a manual registry edit for the upper/lower filters. I have to do some research to find that and try it for grins again.

I'll post back with (if any) progress.

Thanks,
    Craig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Deleted the drive in Device Manager, rebooted. Then started getting the error: I:\ is not accessible. Incorrect funtion, when I tried inserting a disc. ("I" is the letter of my optical drive.) Rebooted several times, more or less the same thing until I went to Disk Management. Funny thing is I didn't even have to click on the drive in Disk Management, just open up Disk Management....strange.

Manually deleted the lower filter in the registry (didn't have a upper filter entry). Rebooted and tried several times. Now all seems to be working well. If something changes, I'll be posting again.

Now I feel like a real dodo cause I knew the steps to take that y'all suggested but felt like they wouldn't work. LOL
    I stand Corrected!

Thanks,
    Craig

PS: Been a long time reader of LangaList and Window Secrets, just this is my first time to post at the Lounge.

Thanks
    Glad your problem is solved. Some of these problems are frustrating and even though you know what's happening it takes someone else pointing it out to re-open your eyes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy