New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get away from IE as default browser

I'm running Windows 7 32bit. I've tried to switch default browsers from IE9 to Chrome OR Firefox. I get the same results with either. I can try to switch by going to either browser options and doing the switch there, or I can go to Default Programs and do it there. It doesn't matter. Whenever I try to switch AWAY FROM Internet Explorer, all IE icons on my desktop go blank (white) for a second or two then the blue "E" returns. When I click on one of them, it loads IE9. I can go to the Options in the browser that I have selected to be default (Chrome or Firefox) and it does indeed say that it IS the default browser. I can go to IE options and it seems to think that it is not default and asks if I want to change.

Actually, the default browser has changed to Firefox. It seems to be only the desktop icons that have not changed over. When I call up a browser from some other program it loads FF as expected.

Shouldn't all of the IE desktop shortcuts change to the currently selected Default Browser?

As a workaround, I've opened each desktop shortcut in IE, then copy/paste the url into Firefox, then drag it to the desktop and delete the EI shortcut. I guess that should take care of it. It just doesn't seem right though.

Thanks
    Last edited by Morganza; 2012-02-18 at 14:20.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganza View Post
    Shouldn't all of the IE desktop shortcuts change to the currently selected Default Browser?
    No, they're IE shortcuts. There's no special shortcut for a default browser, because when you're clicking an icon you have a choice of which one to click and no default is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Morganza View Post
    When I call up a browser from some other program it loads FF as expected.
    That's the default aspect working as it should.

But I don't think you've really described the shortcuts on the desktop. Were they links that you dragged there or a few standard icons from installing IE?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-20 at 21:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I likely dragged them to the desktop from the IE browser address bar, but I have now reopened them in FF and dragged THEM to the desktop. I then deleted the IE shortcuts. I always thought that these shortcuts went to the designated site using the default browser, but I guess not. I was a little confused for awhile, I guess. A not uncommon state for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    I have IE 9 as my default browser on Windows 7 and I just dragged a URL from Chrome to my desktop. Double clicking on it opens the url in IE. I suspect you created the original shortcut in some other manner than dragging it from the address bar.

Jerry