New Lounger
    Thanks

Adding third drive to HP MediaSmart Server

OK.....was wondering if anyone who has or is knowledgeable with EX485 HP MediaSmart Server could help.

I have 2 1TB drives in the EX485, with folder duplication= ON for most folders. The second drive was added later and appears to contain the "duplicates". If I add a 3rd drive for server storage I understand home server just views it as added to the "storage pool".

I guess the basic question is with 3 drives how does folder duplication work? I guessing that home server just makes sure that any folder "duplicate" is not on the same physical drive as the original. Is that a correct assumption?

And if one of the 3 drives should fail, all the folders (with duplication=ON) on that drive are guaranteed to be on one of the other 2 drives and home server is smart enough to rebuild the originals when the new drive is installed.

Thanks for the help. Bob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    That is how it is supposed to work. Fortunately, I've never had to test it.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    That is in fact how it works. When duplication is turned on for a folder, Windows ensures that 2 copies are saved on 2 physically different drives. WHS uses "tombstones" as markers, pointing to the separate copies of a file. If a drive fails, and is replaced, WHS will detect and recreate any missing duplicate files.

Good Luck

PC Mechanic
    Halifax, NS