New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Remove Microsoft Games altogether from Windows 7?

I am spending much too much time with Solitaire. How do I get rid of Microsoft Games altogether - not just remove the feature, as I can always just re-check that box.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    This appears to be a very difficult thing to do as this is a Windows system file. There may be some clues here. This is a MS Social tech blog. I have not tried this and do not recommend it in any way. I would definitely make an Image before attemting any of these system changes in case you hose your system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to Control Panel, Add remove programs, Turn windows features on/off and uncheck Games. Or you could use some self control. LOL Try Spider Solitaire and you'll really be addicted!

Thanks
    Not on Windows 7, you can't!
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
    How do I get rid of Microsoft Games altogether - not just remove the feature, as I can always just re-check that box.
    Barrie,
    Hello....Ridding "bits" of "MS OS" programs is "iffy" You can do it.....i have on several systems, but there are some caveats. First you will need some "tools" and perseverance. Let me first say that i have removed many of the MS programs, depending on which... is the problem .... Some can "go away easily" others put up a fight .
    With some programs, like Windows Defender , Windows Mail, Windows Blah, Blah, Internet Explorer, etc. what happens is they sometimes are interrelated,You have to be careful of which pieces you remove. Still "doable" Here is the catch ...Once you remove parts of the OS ...when it comes time to "Update", "Patch" , or do the "SP thing"...It (your OS) will choke.... cause it can't update something that's not there. Hence you won't be able to apply the SP .... For me it's no biggie ...I don't do "Updates" and "Patches" or SP's on any of my OS's.. Sometimes some program won't run unless you have a "SP" installed, or some other MS bit, so you have no choice .. (reason for the "Full Image" of your OS)

Here's the bottom line.... The game thing is pretty easy to do ... If you want to do it properly ...there are several steps involved .

1. Making a full system Image of your present OS
    2. Taking Ownership of the folder and each file that you wish to remove (Program Files>MS Games),... giving yourself "Full Control" of said.
    3. Deleting the folder and files ...Might need a program called "Unlocker"
    4. Searching the Registry for the "Leftovers" ( a program like jv-16 or manually )....as these programs do not have "uninstallers"

So if your willing to proceed ...post back and i will help you with your questions Regards Fred

PS: You can just remove the "Game" in question without much complaint...Not the whole Microsoft Games thing... a little easier.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-02-19 at 15:55.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Not on Windows 7, you can't!
    Can't what? Use some self control?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    Thanks for the pretty clear discussion. It sounds as though one has to decide which side of a trade-off one wants to come down on? Get rid of games for sure and put up with update problems, or not get rid of games. I do not want to exclude the possibility of updates and SPs. To me, that would not be worth the "price of admission."

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not want to exclude the possibility of updates and SPs. To me, that would not be worth the "price of admission."
    Barrie,
    Hello.... Removing "Microsoft Games " most likely not cause you any problems ...As i don't think that the "Updates \ Patches " will have anything negative to do with removing them.. (have never seen an update for MS Games) Just wanted to make you aware of the many possibilities that could occur. If i were you I would ...

1. Make a "Full Image Backup" of your OS ...3rd party(Free) or Windows Backup...i would prefer 3rd party over Windows ... Windows Backup works....albeit "clumsy" and very "clunky" in comparison to 3rd party free.

2. Take "Ownership" and "Full" control of said Windows Games Folder (Copy it to somewhere besides "Program Files") ..."let-er rip" and delete it from "Program Files" ...

3. If at some point ... things go wrong "Update Wise" you can always do the "Image Recovery" ( that you made) or move the folder back to where it was .

If you have any questions regarding how to do any of these steps ...post back and i will try my best to help you.... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I can't comment on whether there would be an Windows updates, patch or service pack issues (I simply don't know if that would be the case), but I wanted to explain to the casual reader why you have to jump through hoops to remove the games from Windows 7.

First let me confirm that an administrator can implement user account controls and disable games in the control panel, but that can be simply re-enabled if the user is an administrator. In a commercial environment a system administrator can enforce this through group policies, but that's rarely available for a home user.

So why do you have to jump through hoops to permanently remove games?

One of the biggest improvements in security under Vista and improved still further in Windows 7 is protection of critical OS files and folders. A user cannot delete or tamper with a protected file or folder - they do not have the correct permissions. The reason for this is the system is protected against accidental or malicious user actions and against malware.

Now, please don't shoot the messenger by complaining that games are not critical OS components - I know that(!), but elements of them are stored in the Programs directory, which must be protected from attack. Therefore, the only method as, JPF has described, is to take ownership of the appropriate files and folders and manually remove them.

This is not as risk free as it sounds - having taken ownership of the appropriate directory there are dangers that malware may exploit the enhanced privileges, but is the only realistic method to remove the applications.

Generally, I'm not in favour of enhancing privileges through "take ownership", but this is one of the few that I agree has a positive benefit. In any case, if the reader does enhance privileges, they would be well advised to ensure the system is free from malware beforehand.

In this particular case, the OP could always revert to his image backup if he wanted to play the games again, so as long as there are no issues regarding patches and updates, I would dispose of the image backup after a few days or weeks - that also serves to draw a line under the issue and makes a positive commitment to use the machine more effectively.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    I can't comment on whether there would be an Windows updates, patch or service pack issues (I simply don't know if that would be the case), but I wanted to explain to the casual reader why you have to jump through hoops to remove the games from Windows 7.
    Hi Tinto,
    On one of my OS's (Vista home premium ) in experimenting i had removed many things MS related. Ex: IE, Defender, Mail , on and on. Some time latter, when trying to "Update" Norton Internet security It wouldn't install. Turned out that it (Norton NIS) wanted SP-1...So no "problemo"...or so i thought....When trying to install the SP it would fail , because it couldn't update the many things that i had removed ( Registry included) ... Well for me no problem just recovered a Image of my Vista that had SP-1 installed... I'm sure that this would apply to any SP on any OS... Can't update or patch what isn't there...Think it would be a good learning experience for anyone to try some of these things... "Taking Ownership" , "Imaging", installing SP's, deleting unwanted MS stuff, etc. .. Hope this helps clear up my statements. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No problem Fred, I had no experience in that respect, so didn't want to suggest either way.

The main reason for chipping in was to try to explain to a casual reader why ownership is not available on every file, folder or application. We have both seen exasperated posts in the lounge (and some angry ones too) complaining about not having ownership of everything, so I though it might be worthwhile adding a note of explanation why.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope this is not a double post, as I thought I had sent this already.
    Fred:
    I made a new image of my C: drive, which I do every Sunday anyway, and then went to the Microsoft Games folder Properties/Security. When it would not let me change permissions (as administrator), I went to the individual folders with the same result.

Thanks
    The elephant in the room: why not simply exert a little self control and not play the games?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Question

I hope this is not a double post, as I thought I had sent this already.
    Fred:
    I made a new image of my C: drive, which I do every Sunday anyway, and then went to the Microsoft Games folder Properties/Security. When it would not let me change permissions (as administrator), I went to the individual folders with the same result.
    Barrie,
    You can "Take Ownership a "couple a 3 ways" ... Not all will produce the same result ... I'll cover some

1. Select the folder and select Properties>Security>Advanced>Owner Tab>Edit... Change yourself.... as the "Owner" Apply and "OK" out.

2. Once back at the previous screen ...Click on whoever you made "Owner" and then "Edit"> Then click on yourself again... give yourself "Full Control" (Allow Check boxes ) They may appear greyed out ...(a MS trick) you can still check them off. Apply and "OK" out.

You may have to repeat this for each "Game" and then the "Folder" and you will most likely make a few mistakes before you get it right. Once done you will be able to delete the file (Game) and then the Folder ( you might need the free program "Un-Locker" if MS gives you any grief ) Some OS programs won't let you delete them ...cause the OS is running ... Like i said Copy the games folder to some other place first... For safe keeping... If this way fails there are others ...Didn't say it would be easy... until you have done this type of thing a few times. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-02-21 at 14:25.
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    See http://www.thewindowsplanet.com/629/...-windows-7.htm. The games are a windows component, and, as such, are easy to uninstall. There may be a few which are on the program uninstall menu (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features), but most will be on the windows components menu (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features - Turn Windows features on or off). Select games, expand, and uncheck all games that you want to uninstall. Windows will take a short time to complete the uninstall. Then the games are gone, but may be reinstalled later.