2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm new to Windows 7

My XP machine puked on Fri., so bought an eMachine with 7 & boy what an experience!, some good,some questionable. So I have at least a couple questions right now that should probably be posted seperate but will leave that to a moderator if need be.

1st . . why am I getting so many 'update' notices?!! Don't think there were any when I shut down Fri. but 60 of them sometime on Sat., think I'd done a re-boot after removal of some of the 'pre-loaded' garbage that MS thinks we need. Then I think 1 at shut down last eve., then 4 earlier today & I believe just 1 right now, a .Net of some sort.

2nd . . where do I find all my 'puter info in one spot to be able to post it in all my posts ( maybe called a sig.? )

all I know is Windows 7 Home Premium --- don't know if its 32 or 64

IE 8

Thank you,
    grits ( a li'l ole granny who's not too puter smart )

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Regarding 1, it really depends on which version you are running, i.e., whether it includes SP1 or not. Anyway, Windows does know what it needs to download, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Regarding 2, click the start orb (start button), then right click computer on the right and choose properties. This will give you basic info. If you want detailed info, click the start Orb and on the text box immediately above type Sys. From the options offered, choose System Information.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

grits (2012-02-20)

Thanks
    It's probably not MS that thought you needed some of the pre-loaded garbage but the manufacturer of the PC you bought. PC manufacturers are paid by developers to install trial versions of apps to get you to buy in a lot of cases. Plus manufacturers all have their own branded software they think you "need". I use an app called PC Decrapifier to start when I get a new PC. (I just ordered a new Dell for my granddaughter's HS graduation present so I will have my work cut out for me as well)

The manufacturer uses an Image to install the OS on the PC when you buy it. That Image may have originally been made 2 or 3 months ago depending on the manufacturer. Depending on how old the Image is, all updates since then would have to be installed.

I used an app called Speccy to post my PC specs in my sig.

Control Panel, System or Right click on My Computer, Properties will let you know if it's 32 Bit or 64 Bit (Prob 64 Bit, most new PCes are)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

grits (2012-02-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx guys!
    Ted, I downloaded both, will check them out when I get out of here even tho' I had already gotten rid of some within mins. of getting this 'puter set up on Fri.

grits

Thanks
    I found on my wife's and my Sony laptops that most of the Sony branded S/W was totally unnessesary to the point that when I upgraded to Win 7 (from Vista) I used generic Win 7 DVD's rather than the Sony upgrade media and did not miss the Sony branded apps one bit. I did not use any of it at all and do not miss it a bit. The Sony upgrade came on 2 DVDs, the first had a generic Win 7, and the second had the Sony branded S/W. Guess what the second DVDs were never even put in the drive.

When my granddaughters PC arrives, I will delete much of the Dell junk, all the trial ware, the trial Office student ware, the McAfee security suite and anything else that looks useless, and make the PC work better for her. I will also most likely set up a data partition for her to isolate her data from her OS, then create an Image for the works.

grits, I might also suggest checking a couple of Win 7 tips and tweaking sites. They might make your customization easier:

How To Geek

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-02-20 at 14:26.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

grits (2012-02-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I thought there was more than just your pic missing when I replied to my 'New to Firefox' a few mins. ago. Where's your sig that you had in your post #3 above? I came back here to ask you how to do it with Speccy which I installed as per your suggestion in that post.

Thanks
    I think during the short interim when the system was making the change there was a loss of some information which came back shortly thereafter. It all appears to be there now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    not here

Thanks
    Hmmm, I see it all. I'm looking at it now. Very strange. I will send a request along to check it out.

I posted a question in our VIP Forum. I'll see if anyone else is having this problem. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-03-03 at 21:36.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi Ted,

Your profile pic & signature appear fine here.

The display of these can be controlled by the member though, the appropriate settings are under Settings/General Settings/Thread Display Options.

Thanks
    I know. The only thing I modified was the Avatar picture and this seemed to have caused problems with grits ability to view my Avatar and signature. Very strange.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grits View Post
    Ted, I thought there was more than just your pic missing when I replied to my 'New to Firefox' a few mins. ago. Where's your sig that you had in your post #3 above? I came back here to ask you how to do it with Speccy which I installed as per your suggestion in that post.
    grits, Were you signed in to your account when you had the problems? It has been suggested by a moderator that your problem may have been because you were not signed in at the time. No one else has experience any of the problems you saw.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted