New Lounger
    Thanks

Too many formatting marks

I'm using Word 2002, and I'm in the process of going through a manuscript and checking for unwanted formatting marks. What I'm finding are a lot of extra space marks at the end of paragraphs, usually one mark, sometimes more. Not every paragraph. In fact, one page may have lots, while the next two or three pages have none or next to none. After seeing that these marks don't appear in documents written in Atlantis, I ruled out a bad habit on my part. Must be another Word quirk. But I'm going to have the manuscript formatted as a .mobi (Kindle) file, so I'm a little worried that the spaces could cause a problem. Has anyone had any experience with that?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Thomas,

Welcome to the Lounge as a 1st time poster.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "space marks"? Spaces on the same line or spaces between last line of paragraph and 1st line of next paragraph. Perhaps a screen capture would illuminate your question.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding quickly, RetiredGeek.

I mean the formatting marks that denote spaces, like periods, but higher up. Formatting space marks.jpg

The attached example is a rare four space one. Usually it's one space. My concern is that they may cause a problem when the document is converted, although it appears they would only lengthen the paragraph by one space. It's a 100,000 word document, so going through it line by line... It would also be nice to keep Word from doing this.

Thanks
    Thomas,

You could easily eliminate these with a Find & replace.
    Search for space space Paragraph Mark
    Replace with Paragraph Mark.
    Repeat until no matches found.
    Then one more search with just space Paragraph Mark
    Replace Paragraph Mark.
    SearchReplace.JPG

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi Thomas,

Additionally, you can turn this into a macro for easy continued use. In my experience, however, Word doesn't add spaces at the end of paragraphs out of the box.

You referred to Atlantis -- is this the Atlantis word processor? I'm not familiar with it myself and maybe someone else in the lounge is. But... is it possible that while the spaces don't appear in Atlantis, there is something that isn't getting converted properly? What is the conversion process? Can you simply open an Atlantis document in Word or can you Save As another format? If so, does Save As include .rtf format? You might try to save to .rtf and see if the spaces persist. (Word can open rtf docs.)

Best, Kim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, RetiredGeek. That saved me a lot of time. I should have looked more closely at my choices of symbols in find and replace.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Kim...

The check with Atlantis word processor involved text created with Atlantis. I did that early on to see if it was something I was doing, rather than something done by Word. Atlantis will save as rtf or doc, same as Word. Unfortunately, I deleted all the errant marks. Next time I encounter them, I'll do the check with Atlantis. But I think my copy of Word steps outside the box on occasion. It would seem that if it was going to do that sort of thing for a reason, it would be more consistent about it. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

James

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek's solution will certainly work, but you can do it in one step to eliminate other related possibilities as well.

In the Find what box, type "^w^p" (without the quotes) and in the Replace with box, type "^p". The "^w" is interpreted as "white space" so will deal with one or more tabs, spaces, or fixed spaces. Click the "More>>" button in the Find and Replace box, then use the Special button to see options that include the white space code.

Thanks
    Eric,

Nice one!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Eric! Great!

Kim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Where do they come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasja View Post
    What I'm finding are a lot of extra space marks at the end of paragraphs, usually one mark, sometimes more...Has anyone had any experience with that?
    I've seen the same thing in Word 2003 and Word 2010. In all cases it's been when I've pasted in text that was formatted in other sources (usually HTML). This has occurred even after I started using the "Pure Text" utility to strip out all formatting--the extra spaces remained. I've also seen a lot of line breaks in place of paragraph breaks (which can be dealt with by search on ^l and replace with ^p).

If you're pasting in text, be prepared to clean it up. As others have pointed out, a clean-up macro could be a real time-saver, if you have to do this a lot.
    Last edited by bethel95; 2012-02-24 at 15:52.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also use the ^w^p to remove all the white space before the paragraph return at once.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Ronny,

That's already been suggested. See post #8 in this thread.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]