New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Partition Resizing problem

Two plus years ago, I rebuild my system. It has a 250 Gig drive and I partitioned it with a 40 Gig bootable C: and the rest went to a second partition. XP Media Center was loaded along with many other software products. Where possible, I installed software on the other partition. However, the C: partition has still gotten very full.

Without rebuilding the whole drive, how can I increase the C: partition to 60 Gig? I could afford to lose 20 Gig from the second partition.

Tom

Thanks
    Use a 3rd partition partitioning app such as Partition Wizard or EaseUS Partition Magic and just resize the C Partition. Very easy. I have resized my partitions several times increasing and decreasing them with these excellent apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Partition Wizard work fine, but very scary! I first asked it to resize my second partition by 20 Gig and move it higher on the drive, followed by a increase my primary partition to take the rest of the now available space. As PW started to work, it of course rebooted the unit and got stuck with an error message early in the first operation. OOPS! I thought I had lost the second part since it did not show up when rebooting the PC. Wow! Did I loss 138 Gig of data???? However, when I reran PW it simple showed me that it had lost the drive letter. That fixed, every thing worked as desired. I then wiped the sweat off my face and headed for a stiff drink!

Thanks
    I'm glad you got it working.

The first time doing this stuff it's always tough. It's very scary. Heck, I've done it quite a bit now, but I goofed up on a new PC recently and had to use a Win 7 Repair disk to repair the MBR because I forgot to tell Partition Wizard to expand into the Recovery Partition and 100 Mb boot partition I had just deleted so that when I rebooted, guess what, the MBR was gone. What a rookie mistake. Simple to fix, but boy did I feel like a fool. What I should have done after deleting the 2 aforementioned partitions is directed Partition Wizard to resize the OS partition to reclain the entire HD, then applied to reboot. This would have moved the OS into this deleted area and included the entire HD as one partition like it is now. Just understand, that if you have a good System Image ahead of time (I had just made an Image of the OS drive that I had just spent severral hours customizing) you can always get back to where you were once you fix this little glitch.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The biggest mistake that first timers do is to try to make C: bigger before first making space for the size increase, by first decreasing the size of D: (or whatever drive letter the second partition is using).

Regardless of the program used, if the proper steps are followed, the entire operation can come off without any disasters.

One thing I do suggest before ever doing anything with partitions, is to run Chkdsk /r /f to fix any errors on the drive.
    Trying to re-partition or do backups on a drive can turn out really bad, if there are errors on the drive. Been there, done that.

Just a thought.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!