Thanks

Are you sticking with an older computer?

Check out this PC World article about a company in Texas and the system it uses to keep its business records. It is incredible!

But wait, there is more! There are two more pages reviewing several more vintage computers in operation today.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I remember those punch cards so well. I had to take a Fortran programming class during my electronics degree in 1971 while in college. very nightmarish memories.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    That bring's back memories, in my early days repairing punch card machines, starting with those old Hollerith devices. Then plug programming on early ICT machines.
    At home, have an original Osborne 386, which I upgraded to a 486 - windows 3.11 loads so fast that my friends cannot believe their eyes. Still run my personal cash book on this.
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I started mainframe programming in 1970. We would write program code on paper, walk it down to the keypunch supervisor, sweet talk her into punching it into cards, wait a day or two, take the deck over to the operations crew, and wait for them to run it on the IBM 360 to compile it, get a listing showing some stupid mistake, punch a corrected card, wait for it to get compiled again, etc., etc.. By the time I retired, that whole process caused frustration if it took more than a few seconds, usually. I don't miss it, at all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pccoyle View Post
    At home, have an original Osborne 386, which I upgraded to a 486 - windows 3.11 loads so fast that my friends cannot believe their eyes. Still run my personal cash book on this.
    I remember my spouse wanting a file off of a floppy in old Word Perfect format. I booted her PC, walked to the other side of the house and turned on an old AT computer. After DOS booted, I started Word Perfect, opened the file from the floppy, and did a Save As to RTF. Then I carried the floppy to her PC and Windows 95 was still booting! Progress?

Thanks
    Yeah, Win 3x was before the registry came into use. All apps had their own .ini files. Besides it was still DOS.

Ever since, performance has gone south, plus it is so much harder to migrate apps - the only sure way is to reinstall.

I still have some of those old punch cards, and use them - as bookmarks.

Jock

Thanks
    Don't have any old ones hooked up, but still have 2 VIC 20s, a couple Commodore 64s and one a 128 in the barn somewhere!!