New Lounger
    Thanks

Same windows updates keep prompting

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with this persistent windows updates on my machine XP Pro SP3. I have done the installation of the latest windows updates many times, and they keep coming back, asking to be installed as if the updates failed or have not yet been done before.

When I click Yes to install the updates, I do not get any errors or anything like that at all. But a few seconds after the completion of the updates, I saw a little yellow shield appearing at the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar. And when I move my mouse over it, it says "Updates are ready for your computer". I then go to check what updates need installing and found the updates are the same ones as previous.

I was tempted to ignore them and just move on. This problem happens to all of my XP Pro machine SP3.

I attached the file that I copied and pasted from WindowsUpdate.log. I was unable to spot anything wrong with it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    THIS IS WHAT WORKED:
    Uninstall your .NET Frameworks from Add/Remove Programs in reverse order 4.0, then 3.5, then 3.0, until you're down to .NET 2.0 SP2 (or older) left in Add/Remove Programs. Then run Windows Update, install only updates listed for .NET 2.0, then go back and install all other updates.
    Microsoft installs KB2656352 and KB2572073 over and over?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce,

I tried to uninstall as suggested by you and that is uninstalling from .NET Framework 4.0 down to Framework 2.0 in that order. However, I accidentally uninstalled the .NET Framework 2.0. So now I am relying on the windows update on the microsoft update website to scan my computer to tell me which ones it requires me to install for my machine. I followed it in which it required me to install .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5 Which I did already.

So what I have installed on the PC are .NET Framework 1.1, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1. Then, I got error when trying to install (recommended by windowsupdate) .NET Framework 2.0 SP2.

I have attached the error from windowsupdate.log. Hope this info helps you to help me.

Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My guess is you would need to uninstall 3.0 and 3.5 again. Then I would recommend direct downloads for 2.0 and 2.0 SP2 before using windows updates again (for 2.0 first):

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

Bruce