Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Upgrade XP to Windows 7

Ok it's going to be a tough chore but I'm gonna try to upgrade my old PC to W7, if Windows Adviser says I have the necessary hardware. Little confused do I have to uninstall all programs manually or just pop disc in and follow instructions below. I do have all my program discs to reinstall old applications as I already went through this when I purchased my Windows 7 PC.

To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason.

Was not sure if this was right place to this thread.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Not Brightest Bulb For This Useful Post:

bubtub (2012-02-26)

Thanks
    Yes, you have the correct procedure, and no you do not have to uninstall anything. Just pop in the DVD, choose Custom install, choose the XP partition and start the install. The installation will format the partition and install Win 7. As long as the upgrade advisor says it's a go you should be all set. What kind of specs do you have on the PC? Since you already have a Win 7 PC, have you thought about perhaps trying the Win 8 CP when it is released on Fen 29th. Might be fun to play with. You can get lots of tips about Win 8 here. Might be worth thinking about!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bubtub (2012-02-26),Not Brightest Bulb (2012-02-21)

Thanks
    Well I ran the adviser and CPU speed is 2.0 Ghz, 2.0 Ram, and 129.2 GB free C: space. Now I realize more Ram would indeed be a better program but this is just a backup PC and would only be used for a few days at most if main PC blew up. Also as a great learning experience for me.

Check my username, for me this is a brand new adventure. I can pickup the upgrade disc from Amazon for 109.95, and this lounge has never failed me for help needed but I still got to crawl before I can walk upright.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Be aware that there is no in-situ upgrade path from XP to Win7. A clean installation must be made and I believe the Upgrade DVD is not licensed for a clean install.

If you want to keep your existing XP, programs and data, you should dual boot the machine.

Use a tool such as EASEUS Partition Manager to create an empty partition alongside XP and install Windows 7 into that new partition from a standard installation disk.

Win 7 will install quite happily if you attempt to install on top of the existing XP, but all your programs and data will be removed and the drive formatted during the installation.

Having said all that, it's a great opportunity for a learning experience. Have fun.

Thanks
    I assumed I would have to reinstall everything that I need. I just went through that when I purchased new PC so that's not a big deal for me.
    Thank you.

One last thing the Windows transfer app, what does it do, I already have all my data backed up. Would this app make things easier, quicker etc.
    Last edited by Not Brightest Bulb; 2012-02-21 at 10:46.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can perform a clean install from upgrade media. See Clean install Windows 7 with upgrade media for details.

Joe

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I assumed I would have to reinstall everything that I need.
    That's good.....wanted to make sure there were no nasty surprises for you.

You can perform a clean install from upgrade media
    Yup, just wasn't sure if it was licensed correctly.

Thanks
    One last thing the Windows transfer app, what does it do, I already have all my data backed up. Would this app make things easier, quicker etc.
    Windows easy transfer will transfer your data files to the right locations as well as your IE favorites, mail messages/contacts and many application settings. You still have to reinstall all your applications but I found it sped up getting things running again. See:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

J
    erry

Thanks
    Oh! Oh!
    I screwed up, I ran the windows transfer app yesterday and this morning not thinking decided to uninstall AVG and after (most of stupid stuff dawns on me after) I thought I screwed up the transfer, or did I.

I did get upgrade ordered and should be here tomorrow.

Thanks
    Uninstalling AVG should not impact Windows Easy Transfer.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Uninstalling AVG should not impact Windows Easy Transfer.

Jerry
    Thank you Jerry, sets my mind at ease.

Thanks
    Need opinions on the instructions below. On the upgrade instructions that Microsoft puts out nowhere does it say anything about antivirus program removal or does the clean installation remove all unnecessary stuff. You can see how the different advice can b a tad confusing.

1. Uninstall any antivirus/security programs you have installed. Don't just shut them down, uninstall them entirely. At some point in the upgrade, the computer has to reboot; if you only shut down the programs, they'll run again automatically once the computer restarts, potentially screwing up the upgrade.

2. Go to the control panels, and remove as many programs as possible from the startup sequence. This is similar to step 1 above - you don't want something like Adobe or iTunes loading up during your boot sequence, as it will likely mess up the upgrade process.

3. Empty the recycle bin and defragment your hard drive before upgrading. It's not essential, but it will speed the process.

Thanks
    Instead of uninstalling them, I would use What's In Startup and remove them from the Start Up locations. Then they will not start at boot. Scroll down a ways for the download link.

WhatsInStartup.jpg

This should also remove apps from the startup sequence both in the registry and the Start Orb, Start Up folder
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-02-23 at 14:40.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ok the upgrade to Win 7 appears to have been successful. Now next step is the windows transfer and I don't understand what it will be transferring back, If I have to reinstall every program again what is being moved back remember I'm a self admitted dummy so need simple explanation.

Thanks
    I believe it transfers back data??? customizations (if any) contacts, favorites, My Documents???, things like that.

Glad the reinstall went so well!!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2012-02-23)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast