3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multi-core processors

I recently bought a Windows 7 64 bit computer to replace my 8 year old XP model. The new one has a fast dual-core processor with a good cache plus 4Gb of RAM. I have the same (old) programs – Office 2003, Elements 4 etc., and cannot discern any real improvement in speed. Do extra cores actually do anything when using “old” programs.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Multi-core processors will, for basic activities, just allow you to have more programs running with less lag when you switch from one to the other. For most programs you won't notice much more than that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2012-02-22)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Software has to be written to be "multicore" aware to take advantage of them. I have a RAW photo editor, that while not 64 bit, is multicore aware and runs far better the more cores you can throw at it. Additionally, some 32 bit programs actually run a tad slower on 64 bit Windows because the 32 bit calls have to be processed and redirected as 64 bit calls. A nice explanation can be found here. Usually most people, including myself, don't notice anything slower because we're 64 bit on much faster processors and more RAM than we did with XP.
    Chuck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2012-02-22)