4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Headings for multiple page formats in Word 2010

I'm maintaining a couple of dozen manuals, each of which needs to be printed in two sizes, U.S. letter size and metric A4.

To avoid having to make updates in duplicate, I want to print the two sizes from a single set of document files.

The two sizes close enough that the same text, figures, etc. looks presentable in both as long as I'm careful about how I format things. This works well in every aspect but one: headers and footers, which have elements that are supposed to be aligned with the right margin.

Is there any way to format headers and footers so that they will automatically adjust to the page width? The only thing I can think of is a macro that changes style definitions depending on the page size, but even that is not truly automatic; a person who doesn't know the macro is there will have no idea what to do, and a person who doesn't remember to run it every time the page size is changed will still get wrong output.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One way to do this: Put the header and footer content into tables.

For instance, if in the footer you have some content that needs to align to the left margin, and other content that needs to align to the right margin, you could use a 1-row, 2-column table. Set paragraph alignment in the right column to right-align. In Table Properties, set the preferred width for the table to 100%. The width of the table will then automatically adjust, as you change the paper size.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that works! Thank you.

I knew about this property, but I didn't realize it could be set to a percent. I thought it was just for different linear units: inches, mm, points, etc.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As an alternative to Gary's suggestion, you could use alignment tabs, a feature introduced with Word 2007. In fact, alignment tabs were designed to accomplish exactly what you want to do.

While in a header or footer, you can insert an alignment tab at the cursor position. The Insert Alignment Tab command located is toward the right side of the Header & Footer Tools tab in the Position group. When you click to open the dialog, you'll note three options: Left, Center, and Right. Click the type of tab you want to insert, make sure the "Align relative to" drop-down is set to Margin, and click OK. Type the text and/or add any field codes you like. When you're finished, close out of the header or footer.

Now if you change the document margins -- and/or the orientation -- the text and/or field codes you added to the header or footer should adjust automatically.

For more information, see this Microsoft Support article (the section about alignment tabs is toward the bottom).

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com