2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Network printer blocked

I have two homebuilt machines running win 7 64bit, one is professional, one home edition. The HP 932 deskjet is directly connected to pro (Newstone) on a USB port. Pro is hard wired to the wireless router. Home is in my wife's office. The two machines are in a homegroup. The troubleshooters say: "Printer on (Newstone) could not be contacted." and "Computer correctly configured, newstone not responding."

I can read and write to my wife's hard drive and she gets the internet but cannot send jobs to the printer.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Has this setup worked before, or are you just setting it up now?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This worked before office disruption required that I move the wife's computer to be hard-wired into the router (for convenience, not a connectivity issue). I disabled her Ralink 802.11n wireless card in Device Manager and then re-enabled it when I moved back. Since that time, no joy. I suspect there's a switch set wrong but don't know which one. I would like to wipe out the network on both of the machines and start from zero but don't know how.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    I would like to wipe out the network on both of the machines and start from zero but don't know how.
    Have you tried deleting the printer from your wife's computer, then running the "Install a network printer" procedure again?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just did that. The troubleshooter tells me: "Your computer appears correctly configured but the device or resource (Newstone) is not responding." In my file manager, I got the same "Not responding." I can send stuff from here (newstone) to there and get files from her hard drive but she doesn't see me.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the "manual install" in the following MS article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...a-home-network

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried manual install, wife's computer "found a network printer", click on install message box says Belongs to HG, HG not available because not connected to network. Signal strength icon on taskbar is blank, rt click to open network and sharing, box remains blank, make cup of tea, box now says network connected. Borzhamoi! "The troubleshooter is unable to diagnose the problem!"

I'm going to remove the Trendnet wireless card and re-install it.

Do you know of any directions on how to disable a network in Win7 and start from the beginning?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. Wireless card removed, wireless card reinstalled from zero - Run Trendnet install program, put card in slot, restart, hardware detected. Resigned Home Edition computer from Homegroup, removed HG from Pro Edition computer. Rebuilt HG on Pro, rejoined Home, "Windows cannot access //Newstone"

The TrendNet card could be bad. On re install, the BIOS screen did not show after start button pressed but machine booted after power switch turned off then on. I was replacing the cover when I got a BSD and the diagnostic "Bad Pool Header." On restart, everything worked and the wireless card shows "This device is working properly" in Device Manager.

Now what?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no idea what "Bad Pool Error" signifies. Try running the HomeGroup Troubleshooter, under More Options tab on this page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...tart-to-finish