New Lounger
    Thanks

lexmark printer won't print

Having a problem with my USB-connected Lexmark 2580 printer. When I try to print, the software acts like it printed OK, the printer's dialog box under Control Panel/Printers and Faxes shows the print job for about 2 seconds, then it disappears. The printer shows being 'ready' in the printer dialog box, but nothing happens. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling software, different USB ports and cables, and installing the drivers under both the 'Found New Hardware' route and the printer's installation CD. I called Lexmark support but they couldn't figure it out either, even with taking over my computer by remote access. I also checked the Firewall settings and they showed the Device Monitor being allowed. And the printer works fine from my wife's laptop. I'm running XPSP3

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scotwing View Post
    Any ideas?
    scotwing,
    Hello...Just a thought ....I'm not on my XP OS now but check... Administrative Tools>Services>Print Spooler..Make sure that it is set (Automatic) Might just Stop it and Restart Regards Fred

PS: I'll check my XP OS and post back if needed
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the hint. The Print Spooler was set to Automatic, so I stopped and restarted it along with the print monitor, but still no change. The printer works fine with my wife's Win7 laptop. The Lexmark tech said there's no 'firmware' in the unit that would/should cause a conflict.

I'll consider an XP repair installation if nothing else works, but I'm a believer in simple causes for most problems.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    scotwing,
    Hello... you could always try to run from an elevated command prompt "sfc /scannow" (no quotes system file checker ) If you don't have the i386 folder on your OS it will prompt you to have your installation disk in the CD \ DVD RW.. It's worth a try. I'll check around on my XP Pro SP3 OS and see if i can find anything else regarding "Printers"... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    scotwing,
    One other thought... Control Panel> Printers> Right Click and choose "Properties" ...Make sure that you have the required permission...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran system file checker (no change) and checked for Permissions under the Printer folder, but I didn't find any Permissions setting under any of the Properties menus. Where is it exactly? I'm logged in as the Administrator.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    scotwing,
    Hello.. Not the "Folder". Go to Control Panel>Printers>..Right click on the Printer Icon..and choose "Properties"... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do Control Panel>Printers and Faxes> any right click only brings up 'open/explore/create shortcut' options. So I right click 'Lexmark 2580' and go to properties. When I do that, the Properties menu shows the tabs General/Sharing/Ports/Advanced/Color Management, but permissions isn't found on any of those sub-menus.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    scotwing,
    Hello.. OK I guess that your OS is XP Home ( I'm running XP Pro ) ..so you have to start in "Safe Mode" and log on as Administrator... Keep pressing "F-8" at boot time to access . Once that you are in "Safe Mode " and repeat the same steps ...your then should see a "Security Tab" ...click on that and you then will see the "Permissions" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks

problem solved using the nuclear option

Hi Fred - I tried the Safe Mode option but no printers were showing in the Printers and Faxes under Contol Panel, hence no Permissions tab.
    But I started having new issues that looked like bad or corrupted files (video anomalies), so I pulled the trigger on a clean install and now everything works fine, printer included. So my guess is the hardware was OK but some files were corrupt and the reinstall addressed that.

But as a lesson learned, I did run the System File Scan command and that didn't solve the problem, so my guess is that the corrupted file, if that's indeed what it was, wasn't an XP file but another file type. I had reloaded the drivers during the early printer software installations, so that wouldn't have been the culprit.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts.

-Scotwing

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    scotwing,

Hello.. Glad that you have sorted it all out ...Now would be a good time for a full system "Image Backup" so if you ever have this problem again you could be back in less than 10 minutes or so. Regards Fred
    PlainFred