New Lounger
    Thanks

Automated backup not working

I hope someone can help.
    We bought a buffalo 1TB drive station. It looked like you could set automated backups. But I can't seem to be able to work out how. Am I missing some other software that you need to do this? I'm having to manually copy files to the external harddrive at the moment, and I really don't want to continue doing this. I've read the instructions, but I don't know what I'm not doing.
    Many thanks in advance
    Gill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    What software are you trying to use?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gspeed View Post
    I hope someone can help.
    We bought a buffalo 1TB drive station. It looked like you could set automated backups. But I can't seem to be able to work out how.
    Gill,
    Hello... Have you "Loaded" the CD that came with it? There should be a program called "Memeo" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    that's what I'm asking. When you read the stuff that comes with the buffalo stuff, it says that you can automate your backups.
    I'm guessing I need something else! Any suggestions? Sorry I'm a bit dim when it comes to things like this.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Gill,
    There are a few "Buffalo" drive stations out there... don't know which one you have ...some came with an "installation disk" does yours have one?
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred
    No it didn't come with an install disk. It's an HD-LBU2.
    We reformatted it to NTFS and followed all the steps in the instructions we got.
    But it just wouldn't backup. I can't remember what the message was now, if there was one, because it was July last year when we got it. So I've just been doing it manually since then.
    cheers

Gill

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred
    No it didn't come with an install disk. It's an HD-LBU2.
    We reformatted it to NTFS and followed all the steps in the instructions we got.
    Hi Gill,
    When you "Formatted NTFS" The HD you might have erased the "Bundled software" that came with the HD ( if there was no Installation CD ) When you look at the HD using Computer Management>Disk Management... What does it show? Is it just one partition, or are there several ? In the case that you have inadvertently removed some "Buffalo Imaging software" not to worry ... as long as the drive is formatted to NTFS and your PC can see it ( with a Drive Letter ).... there is a free Imaging program that will do what you want ( and more ) Macrium Reflect Macrium Free V-5 Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks Fred. I've downloaded this software, but what do I do next? Do I want the 'clone' option? And then will I be asked for the location of where I want the clone to be? i.e. on our buffalo harddrive? Thanks Gill

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks Fred. I've downloaded this software, but what do I do next? Do I want the 'clone' option? And then will I be asked for the location of where I want the clone to be? i.e. on our buffalo harddrive?
    Hi Gill,
    I'm guessing that you have downloaded a "Version 5" ... If so the choice is yours ...Let me explain...

1. A "Clone" is an exact copy of your present Hard Drive, empty spaces (sectors) and all..This will take up the same amout of room that your "OS" Hard Drive has now.. This is used to create a replaceable HD, in the case that your present HD goes "belly up" Many do this ...just in case.

2. What your after to start is.... Make an Image of your present OS and place it on your External HD. Macrium will "compress" the Image ...so it will be smaller some 40% to 60% .. so you can store more Images ( should do them at least weekly) and keep at least a months worth.

3. Before you do this you should "Burn" and test a Macrium Recovery Disk.( to make sure that your PC is set to boot from a CD).. This will be used to boot your PC in the event your OS gets "toasted"

4. Read through the recovery disk options and i would recommend the "WinPE WAIK" option (Requires a 1.7GB download ) but after that it's pretty much automated ...Post back with any questions Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-03-20 at 08:59.
    PlainFred