Star Lounger
    Thanks

Want To Get Rid Of Suggested Sites Icon...

I am using Windows XP Professional SP3, 32-bit, with Internet Explorer 8.

I noticed that frequently a Suggested Sites icon appears in the Favorites Bar and I have been unable to permanently get rid of it...

Things I have tried:

1) Right-clicked the Suggested Sites icon in the Favorites Bar and deleted it many times. It keeps on coming back!

2) Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> Browsing section: Unchecked "Enable Suggested Sites". It keeps on coming back!

3) Went to C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Favorites\Links and deleted Suggested Sites many times. It keeps on coming back!

4) Clicked on the Search box (top right-hand corner), selected Manage Search Providers, and then selected Disable Suggestions. It keeps on
    coming back!

What else can I try to permanently get rid of it, short of using another browser like Firefox or Google Chrome??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    3) I believe you can mark it as hidden there with a right-click then Properties.

4) Forget Search Suggestions; they're completely different; words, not sites.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-22 at 15:20.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Also see JoeP517's answer near the bottom of this previous thread here: Want To Permanently Get Rid of Suggested Sites Button!

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to go into the registry and do the following:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER//Software//Microsoft//Internet Explorer//SuggestedSites
    Make sure you back up this registry key just in case - then delete the entire folder.

Reboot the computer and then go back to HKEY_CURRENT_USER//Software//Microsoft//Internet Explorer//SuggestedSites

Find slice path and change it. I Created Hold folder (in favorites) and changed the path to:
    C:\Users\your USERNAME\Favorites\Hold\Suggested Sites.url
    This seems to have cured the problem