5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When Win7's internal diagnostic utilities fail

LANGALIST PLUS

When Win7's internal diagnostic utilities fail

By Fred Langa

Windows 7's Reliability Analysis Component (RAC) and related software usually work silently in the background, unnoticed by Win7 users until something goes wrong with these diagnostic apps.
    Here's how to repair or disable the RAC system, should it fail and how to access its reliability-analysis records when it's working as designed.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/when-win7s-internal-diagnostic-utilities-fail/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding "System Restore not running automatically" my experience mirrors Erik Olesen's. I've been using Windows 7 Professional for almost a year and I have never been able to make system restore create a nightly restore point, and I tried hard. The SR task runs fine as scheduled. It completes successfully with no errors, but it doesn't create a restore point. A restore point is created when there's an automatic Windows Update, sometimes when I install a new program, and when I manually create one, but not during scheduled runs.

Several months ago I spent several days trying to solve the problem and I finally gave up. I don't remember all the things I tried, but I think I experimented with the settings of the Windows task, tried on-demand runs, and even created a new administrator under which I created a new task copying all the settings listed in the official task and experimenting with altered settings. Nothing I tried worked. The task would run with no errors, but no restore point would be created.

The system restore task runs automatically every night and finishes successfully with no errors or warnings, but no restore point is created. Running the task is not the problem. How to make the task create a restore point is a mystery.

I've noticed another mystery. When a program installation creates a restore point it only takes a few seconds. When I create a restore point manually in the System Protection tab of System Properties, it takes many times longer. From observed times it seems different things happen when a program triggers restore point creation versus when a restore point is created manually.

Jon
    Last edited by jmaloney; 2012-02-24 at 15:24.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmaloney For This Useful Post:

emr313 (2012-03-14)

Lounger
    Thanks
    my system restore task also seems to work like Erik and Jon describe, and not as Fred writes. Fred's article seems a bit confused -- he talks about "task manager" but i think he's actually referring to "task scheduler". and the Microsoft help page he links to is for Vista, not Windows 7.

i did some digging around the internets and came up with what i think is the answer at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...2-79699009dcf4

apparently in Vista and XP you indeed do get a restore point every 24 hours, but in Windows 7 you get a restore point only "if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days". which is why you see a "successful" system restore task run every night. it runs, sees a restore point within the last 7 days, and immediately exits. there's a VB script posted there that you can use if you want to always get a new restore point created, regardless of what points already exist.

lee

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lhite For This Useful Post:

emr313 (2012-03-14),jmaloney (2012-02-25)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lhite View Post
    my system restore task also seems to work like Erik and Jon describe, and not as Fred writes. Fred's article seems a bit confused -- he talks about "task manager" but i think he's actually referring to "task scheduler". and the Microsoft help page he links to is for Vista, not Windows 7.
    apparently in Vista and XP you indeed do get a restore point every 24 hours, but in Windows 7 you get a restore point only "if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days".
    Not Fred's finest hour really; three mistakes in three sentences.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lee hit the nail on the head!
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx confirms his finding.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fishingelbow For This Useful Post:

emr313 (2012-03-14)