2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Navigation Pane in Word 2010

1. I prefer to begin without the Navigation Pane, which appears automatically when I create a new blank document in Word 2010. How do I change the default?

2. Is there a keyboard shortcut to open and close the Navigation Pane? If not, how would I create one, or would it require a macro?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whether the Navigation Pane appears by default seems to depend on whether "Navigation Pane" is checked or unchecked in the View tab (in the Show group, somewhat to the left). If you uncheck the box before exiting from Word, the Nav Pane should not appear the next time you launch the program.

Ctrl F opens the Navigation Pane, but I'm not sure if there is a corresponding keyboard shortcut to close it. (Ctrl F isn't a toggle.)

You don't need a macro to assign a keyboard shortcut to toggle the Nav Pane on and off. Just click File, Options, Customize Ribbon, then navigate to the bottom left side of the Options screen and click the Keyboard Shortcuts "Customize" button.

When the dialog appears, navigate to the Categories list at the left and click to select "View."

Then navigate to the Commands list on the right and click to select NavPane.

Click in the "Press new shortcut key" box below that and press any key combination you'd like to assign, such as Ctrl F. If the key combination has been assigned to another feature or function, you'll see it listed at left. You can choose to override any existing assignment if you like.

Next, be sure to click the "Assign" button at the bottom left side of the dialog, then click "Close" and click "OK" to save your settings.

Let us know if that works for you. It worked in my tests.

Jan
    Last edited by janbphd; 2012-02-22 at 22:57.
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to janbphd For This Useful Post:

PamCaswell (2012-02-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great. Thanks a lot.