Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007: how to print comments in separate document?

I have been tasked with extracting the comments in a document into a separate, free-standing Word document. Is there any easy way, other than a manual cut'n'paste of each comment, to do that?
    Thanks in advance,
    Georgette

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    An easy way to see this is to print the markup (to a PDF if you need a file). In the Print view Settings area, change "Print All Pages" to "List of Markup".

A harder way is to use a macro that iterates through the comments and adds them to a new document. A good example which puts the comments and other associated metadata into an Excel table is located here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...-reference-the
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Georgette (2012-02-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the macro but cannot seem to get it to work. Will try to find someone in-house to look at where the code is hanging up.
    I did try a workaround method that involves printing the markup using the Adobe PDF print driver (I think you need Adoble Professional to have this capability) and then opening the PDF & saving as a Word .doc file. It gave me all the information I needed, but still had to be formated in a tabular fashion.
    Thanks for your input. Georgette

Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the code that your provided in your link to work!!! I did not notice the note at the beginning of the macro that I had to turn on the Excel Library in Tools for the macro to be functional. Once that was done, it worked like a charm!

New question: how do I share this macro with others? Currently it is housed in a global template called gg-normal.dotm located in my STARTUP folder.

Thanks again for providing the code link,
    Georgette

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well the global template is one way of distributing the macro. Another is to add it to a document template or even into Normal.dotm.

The best way depends on many factors such as:
    - How many users need this
    - What type of documents need the macro
    - What is your network configuration (eg workgroup template folder shared across network)
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew. Ideally I would like the macro available to anyone who needs the Word comment-->Excel matrix functionality.

Putting it into a document template would limit its use, as we may want to capture comments from client documents for which we do not have the backing template.

I hesitate to put it into normal.dotm because some folks may have already customized their normal; also, if the normal template corrupts, it may be deleted.

Adding the macro to a global template and then distributing seems like the safest way, but I must investigate our network rules about sharing global templates containing macros. I tried saving MY global template with a new name and sharing it with a co-worker, but the macro did not show up in the macro list. Ultimately I took the code text (in Word) to his laptop, created a global template on his laptop, and added the macro; only then did it function correctly. There has to be an easier way.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew, thank you SO MUCH for the link to the code to extract Word 2007 comments to an Excel spreadsheet. With a little reading I was able to make it work!! Here are the steps I followed which got around all of the gotchas (I think):
    Make a GENERIC_normal.dotm file based on a new, untouched Normal.dotm
    Put GENERIC_normal.dotm into my STARTUP file for Word
    Open GENERIC_normal.dotm (not a document based on this template)
    From Developer tab, choose Visual Basic, and add a module named CopyCommentsToExcel
    Cut and paste the code for the macro provided in your link into the module's code-writing area
    In Tools, References, turn on the Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object library
    Save the macro
    Save GENERIC_normal.dotm
    When you open any document, check in the Developer tab, Document templates. GENERIC_normal.dotm should be available as a checked, global template.
    To run the macro, on the Developer tab, choose Macros, choose CopyCommentsToExcel, and Run
    It is slick!!! Again, thanks.